Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

After eons of lurking here, it looks like I'm taking the plunge.

But as deals in this part of the world are few and far between, I have to travel about 800 miles to pick up the Plasma - which is stark naked! :eek:

I will be wrapping it in a bedsheet and then a blanket. Should I then strap it to the seatback of the car (borrowed old VW Rabbit, hope it fits through the door)? The trip back will also be about 800 miles, mostly highway miles thank goodness. Poor suspension on the old beater will make for a thrilling ride, hopefully without special effects. ;)

Or should I try to pile up cardboard boxes in the rear hatch, and try to wedge it in lengthwise, standing upright with the front facing to one side and the back facing to the other side of the car (idea is less shock transmitted to glass over bumps when lengthwise)?

Thanks for your suggestions. The seller has no box, and it is a lot more screen than I care to smash.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Brett,

the words 'wedge' and 'strap' worry me. What size is the panel? Can you ship it instead of moving it yourself? Maybe someone on this forum could lend/give you a plasma carton, for the model you're getting, to use for this adventure and then you could ship it conventionally. Just an idea. I don't have an unused box or I'd consider it.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Brett-

I don't know if you have access to packaging materials there or not, but in the US, places like "U-Haul" sell boxes and styrofoam corners for packaging pictures and the like.

Most plasmas have a shallow cardboard box bottom with these rigid foam pieces fitted around the display chassis (outter frame). Then a taller box is slipped over the top with more rigid foam on the top. I would think armed with enough card board, styrofoam, a razor knife & tape that you could create a suspended packaging system for your journey. This would be better to strap in, around.

PS. Cardboard, by itself, is abrasive. I have direct experience with this, where corragated cardboard rubbed paralell lines into wood. So I would avoid direct contact between cardboard and the frame/besel, it will rub thru the finish otherwise.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a 50 incher weighing 95lbs. Maybe I should stand it up on the back seat of a cushier bigger car with rear air suspension and tie the seatbelts together around it. Here shippers don't have much more than book boxes for packing, and anything specialized is available, but by custom order in the thousand units or so. No access to a packing box, so it will be going in a risky way I guess. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I would stand it up behind the front seats. I would place multiple blankets on the floor of the back-seat area to create cushioning that can give a bit. I would blanket the plasma after putting a soft, thin foam wrap or at least a plastic wrap. I would use additional blankets behind the glass to keep it up right with at least one in front of the glass to keep it off the front seats....

You want to have a solution that is either rigid yet highly protective, like the original packaging materials, or very flexible to handle the inevitable bumps in the road... My suggestion is close to that.

Mark

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I moved mine I used a roll of bubblewrap to cover the screen

and upper body. (You should probably tape to the frame with some

lightly sticky tape). I then had styrofoam blocks all around the body in

the box and even had styrofoam on the bottom of the box to avoid harsh

bumps. If you have a table stand I might suggest installing that first to help prevent it from tipping over. Personally I wouldn't attempt the move in

a VW. Way too small and any serious bump could crush a cell. I had

a friend with a commercial van assist me and we took it real slow. If you use

a van don't forget to strap it to a sidewall so it doesn't slide around and don't

lay it flat.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Rent a Citroen with air cushion suspension.:)

Visions of the Wages of Fear...

Congrats. Use common sense, of which you have oodles, and avoid the Margaritas this time in the Cote De Azur.

PD. I hope all this drama is for an AVM.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Mark,

Smart suggestions, will do as you say and choose option 2 "very flexible to handle the inevitable bumps in the road" with one exception: I'll stand it up on the rear bench seat as the car with air suspension will be a rear drive with a transmission tunnel which would put pressure on the middle of the panel if placed on the floor.

Placed on the rear bench it will also benefit from the foam in the seat cushions. First I'll wrap it in a couple of layers of bubble wrap (smooth side against the Plasma screen), then wrap it directly in a blanket. Looks like I'm half way there, thanks!

Hi Glenn,

I never would have thought of placing it on the table stand (it comes with one) as I would have probably first thought about keeping it as light as possible and preserving the seat cushions (too much weight on a small surface can make for nasty cuts or crushed foam). But this is definitely a case where protection the load is the main priority! This will effectively isolate the panel's glass pane from direct shock transmission. Great! I'll definitely keep the table stand mounted placing it on a blanket to protect the bench seat from weight damage.

Hi Paul,

I'm with you there, seat belts is a must, to protect the panel as well as the last link in the HT signal chain, your's truly, the future viewer. ;) Will place the panel's glass to the rear, isolated from pressure against the seat back by styrofoam wedges on the edges with the center seatbelt buckles stuffed deep behind the cushions. Then I will strap the two side passenger 3 point seat belts together, with the strap also surrounding the blanket and the styrofoam. That should keep it from turning into a projectile. Then I would use empty cardboard boxes wedged between it and the front seat backs to keep it in position during normal turning and braking conditions (over here normal should read "rallye driving"). :eek:

Hi Peter,

Will save the rent and use another make with air suspension, but Citroens do have the best! You're right about the AVM, I will be delving into a brave new world of PeeWee vision (to quote a friend). ;) I checked the European forums and couldn't find any mention of Pal problems. AVM may do a number on signals, so I'll be sure to put it through the loops comparing loads of stuff from Japanese LD players, Pal cable, Euro HD sat, RP-91 SDI to DVI, 5900 Fli2200 progressive versus 5900 SDI, D-Theater, Faroudja broadcast S-VHS, WM9-HD, but first things first. Gotta go get it! Thanks for your helpful advice. :cool:

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
"Japanese LD players, Pal cable, Euro HD sat, RP-91 SDI to DVI, 5900 Fli2200 progressive versus 5900 SDI, D-Theater, Faroudja broadcast S-VHS, WM9-HD"

You certainly have earned the title of most most ardent Parisian Videophile. Noblese Oblige a la Jules Verne. Well done. Do check for no more than 6 contiguos dead pixels. Also turn on the white field option in the menu, look for an even field. Pee wee vision is just a comment applicable in American Suburbia. I am sure that in your Nuptial Bodouir it will be very cinematic.

Regards to the clan.

http://www.culturevulture.net/Movies/wagesfear.jpg

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Peter,

Am already in "Wages of Fear" mode. Don't feel like I should even think about it until fully installed. Will definitely check for pixels, though the seller says it isn't missing a single one. :cool: Was supposedly a show demo unit with "4 hours of official use"? Must have been a very brief event...

·
Registered
33,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brett

I will be delving into a brave new world of PeeWee vision (to quote a friend). ;)
Hey Brett, sure hope you've got a microscope to use in conjunction with your new Pee Wee vision plasma. You might only need it for critical viewing. ;) Good luck and enjoy!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Brett,

Whatever car you are going to use, do yourself a favor. If possible, get a piece of cardboard and cut it to dimensions, try to fit that cardboard into the car and see if it will fit and that you would be able to maneuver it to the back seat.You don't want to be stuck some 800 miles away.

This thing is huge, it is one thing to know it is, say, 48 inch by 30 inch and another thing to actually see it. Make sure that the dealer will help you load it and that some one will be waiting for you home when you get back.

Good Luck

-Alan

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Ken,

Over here space costs a premium, so rooms aren't so big. No such thing as master bedrooms with dual walk-in closets... The viewing distance will be a shade under 9 feet, making for plausible size if the picture quality is there. Just kidding Peter, true that since I've looked 50" has been a threshold size and I preferred to wait until pricing and my budget converged rather than get a smaller panel. Funny that the even bigger ones, though of more comfortable size and having indisputable virtues, don't really cross a second psychological viewing threshold. Though I'm sure it will really feel like PeeWee vision if ever that 13' academic Torus materializes. ;)

Hi Alan,

You got those dimensions down pat! The seller had better help me load it if he wants the sale. He was sceptical after asking me if I was coming in a huge SUV. You're right that it is going to be challenging to squeeze it in through the back doors - I'll have to measure it.

I may have to remove the PTT4200S desk top stand to squeeze it in, tilting it upwards at an angle once it reaches the transmission tunnel. I'll find out how long the stand is once I get there. Shame to lose the shipping transport feature of of the table stand isolating the panel's frame/glass by transmitting vibrations to the back of the case. Maybe I can bolt it back on inside the car after loading the panel? Seems tricky without others holding the plasma up on either side while I slowly twist the trusty swiss army knife. ;)

Will measure the door passage tomorrow, may yet have to borrow that shakey VW rabbit, which at least has a rear hatch that would accomodate it on its desk stand, as Citroens (those with air suspension) would have even narrower doors.

Cheers,

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Brett, I hope I get this right being an ignorant American:

Bonne chance

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Hello Brett

Your mad :) go rent a small van*, buy a big roll of bubble wrap (big bubbles) , a roll of gaffa tape and a decent set of adjustable luggage/load straps.

Confirm your vehicle or house insurance has you covered whilst the kit is in the van** and take a mate*** with you to help with the loading and unloading.

Otherwise your asking for trouble trying to squeeze a 50" display into the rear of a VW golf.

*Ensure the van has load fixing points in the floor on the ceiling or on the internal bulkhead.

** Ensure you are covered for accidental damage and theft.

*** He or she can assist as you wrap and load - and if you need to stop whilst en-route - one of you can stay with the van as its contents are most likely not insured against theft if left unattended.

Best regards

Joe

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Joe,

Had hoped to buy from you but saw that you no longer carry the F brand. :(

Already got the straps, empty cardboard boxes wedged between the rear of the panel and the rear of the front seats will serve as harsh braking cushioning while the seat belts will take over if, God forbid, I hit something, in which case I wouldn't be worrying so much about HT viewing.

Insurance here isn't like Lloyds of London, still have claims from over a year ago which while clearly covered by contract will go to litigation. I tend to insure myself (I break it, I pay for it) which ends up far less aggravating than a French illusion of coverage.

I measured the back seat and there's ample clearance in the rear door passage (several inches taller than needed) so there won't be any transmission tunnel juggling. :cool:

After a day long search found out late that there is only one retailer in this city which sells the heavy duty bubble wrap, I'll make sure to get some first thing Monday morning. I won't leave the car any further than to the gas pump, so no unattended kit will occur, even if it means travelling with an empty -> full bottle onboard. ;)

Mark,

Graded A in French 101 - but over here they don't say "break a leg" but Merde (try typing that in bold in its English version) which means "go step in some", not much of an accomplishment in Paris streets.

Peter,

Sounds like fun but I prefer to stay away from those dizzy birds even though a childhood friend pilots them for a living. No coasting to the beach when a piston throws a rod :eek: and in pricey €urope it would take a serious bite out of the 40% discount.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
"

Insurance here isn't like Lloyds of London..."

Sounds like a business opp Cineramax.... Peter's of Paris.... :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.