AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't really trust any shipping companies so I've decided to drive about 350 miles to pick up a projector.

Thinking about covering the lens and using some bubble wrap/pillows as cushion.

Any other other suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
You're picking up the vidikron 9500LC, right? If you haven't ever seen one, it's twice the size that you're expecting and twice as heavy.

Hopefully you have a minivan or suv with the seats removed or folded down. I've learned that a tarp and a big garage floormat are useful to protect the car's interior and to help slide the beast in/out. The Marquees don't have any handles or too many good places to lift it by.

And definitely cover the LC lenses to protect the c-elements from getting zapped by the sun... it'd only takes a few minutes.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UD180
Don't really trust any shipping companies so I've decided to drive about 350 miles to pick up a projector.
you are very wise grasshopper, I wouldn't trust my own mother with a Vision 1 :D Tehy're not that hard to drive around with, the only real danger is it sliding around in case you have to slam on the barkes. Tie it down in the back of a truck with a heavy tarp to protect it from rain and you'll be fine. They're not really as fragile as people think, biggest concern is probably scratches on that cool fiberglass cover.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm
you are very wise grasshopper,
- I worked my way thru college @ UPS ;)

What should I cover the c elements with? Cardboard, pillows etc..?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Clarence,

It will be inside the vehicle. I also noticed that some members use carts to move the projector around during setup. Is this a special type of cart? Or something I can get at Home Depot?

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I haven't seen anything good at HD for a projector cart.

My favorite carts are old dot matrix printer stands. They're the perfect size/height, they're sturdy, they have locking casters, and the slot where the fanfold paper used to feed is great for cables.

For moving them from the vehicle to the HT, I use a sturdy folding computer cart from work. Kind of like a collapsible, flat-bed grocery cart. And for moving them from the storage room to my HT, I use my oldest son's skateboard. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.