AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a one year and 10 week old sa-wx700 that has all of the sudden stopped working. It will power on and all, but it no longer produces any sound what-so-ever.

Troubleshooting I have done includes:

Hooking up another sub to my receiver (other sub works fine)

Hooking up another sub to the line out of the sa-wx700 (the other sub works fine)

Any idea what could be wrong with this sub and how to troubleshoot it?

·
Registered
742 Posts
1. Unplug subwoofer from wall socket.

2. Look for a fuse holder on the outside of the sub. If there is a fuse holder, remove fuse and examine whether it is fried (open). replace as necessary.

3. If no fuse is present or if the fuse is ok then remove the woofer and use a right or left channel speaker wire the contact briefly the terminals of the woofer with a music signal to hear if the woofer will reproduce the signal. Make sure you volume control is low when you do this test.

4. If the woofer is good, then while the woofer is out examine the interior of the power amp for an internally mounted fuse. If there is a fuse holder, remove fuse and examine whether it is fried (open). replace as necessary.

5. If there are no fuses and the woofer will reproduce a signal then the amp is bad and should be replaced.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
went trough first four steps..all negative..looks like amp is fried..I will try to dig my receipt out and see if the sucker is still under warranty...I hope it is...

Otherwise it would be waste to dump these perfectly good 10" woofers and enclosure..this is a push pull system and had produced pretty deep and clear bass...

It was rated at 250W RMS with digital amp...Is there a way to buy another amp and fit it in there. I will have to find a way to seal it since it is acoustically suspended enclosure?

What would do you recommend?

·
Registered
68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadrealista /forum/post/12310864

I have a one year and 10 week old sa-wx700 that has all of the sudden stopped working. It will power on and all, but it no longer produces any sound what-so-ever.

You have a 1 year warranty.

If you cannot find the problem, you may want a local repair shop to give you a repair estimate. It may just be a minor problem.

Look for burnt parts on the amp, it might isolate the problem.

A photo might help someone here isolate the problem.............. FWIW.

Good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKnPA /forum/post/12318651

You have a 1 year warranty.

If you cannot find the problem, you may want a local repair shop to give you a repair estimate. It may just be a minor problem.

Look for burnt parts on the amp, it might isolate the problem.

A photo might help someone here isolate the problem.............. FWIW.

Good luck

well I opened the amp and looked closely over the circuit board..nothing looked burned or out of the ordinary..I did notice barely audible very high pith(frequency) noise coming from the board...but it was very hard to pinpoint where it was coming from.

I assume one of the components on the bard might be toast, but nothing that I can visibly see..both fuses were fine...I snapped couple photos of the board but they are on home pc..I will try to load those later tonight when I get back home..

Searching the web I noticed that several other people had their die in similar fashion as mine after having them for a year or so...

Lastly if I can't figure out what is wrong with it..anyone here knows good electronics shop in DC are that will not charge me arm and leg to figure what is wrong with it?

·
Registered
68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadrealista /forum/post/12319217

I assume one of the components on the bard might be toast, but nothing that I can visibly see..both fuses were fine...I snapped couple photos of the board but they are on home pc..I will try to load those later tonight when I get back home..

Maybe someone will see something you missed!

Quote:
Searching the web I noticed that several other people had their die in similar fashion as mine after having them for a year or so...

Products usually have inherent problems like cheap parts, and are the first to go. Quality is sometimes hard to find!

Quote:
Lastly if I can't figure out what is wrong with it..anyone here knows good electronics shop in DC are that will not charge me arm and leg to figure what is wrong with it?

Good....... always ask for an estimate, then you can decide if its worth the effort to fix it. My 'HT' receiver died twice ( kept cutting out). After two repairs, I decided to buy a good receiver. .... FWIW
It's a good learning experience.................

·
Registered
68 Posts
Very good photos...........

1. Did you check the fuses by 'eye', or did you use an ohmmeter ?

2. Make sure all the connectors are fully seated.

* Normally a big 'cap' blows for some reason and you can see or smell it, but I don't see anything either.

Don't give up...............

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used multimeter and they checked out fine..nothing looked lose..they glued all of the capacitors with that white stuff..I was actually surprised how well built everything looked...

here is the pic of woofers and enclosure..if this can't be fixed I plan on getting another amp..any recommendation on push-pull amp and where I could get it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
same problem on my 2 yr. old SA-WX700 - it stopped working two weeks ago :-(

the sub powers-up normally - I can even hear a very quiet intermittent rumble . . . like a clock ticking, only with a low frequency sound

not sure, but I think when I turned it on a couple of weeks ago, I heard a double click sound instead of the normal single click

just purchased a Sony SA-W3000 to replace it . . . the SA-WX700 is a better sub, though

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've had the larger SA-WX900 (12in-1000watt amp) for a few years now...no problems. Just ordered the SA-WX700. I WILL be purchasing an extended warranty plan for the WX700 woofer.

See Sony's Extended Service Plans here: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...151&langId=-1#

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It turned out to be blown capacitor on crossover..back in business :) of harassing the neighbors..just kidding..I like this sub..it has a punch and accuracy due to its push pull design..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Good..........

How did you find it ?

Was it a visual observation, or did you measure it ?

Be aware that something else may be the 'real problem'!

John

·
Registered
18 Posts
My SA-WX700 sub went out about a month ago. The sub still powers on but there's only a low popping/scratching noise coming through the sub. I'm not very electrically inclined so I didn't want to open up the sub and mess around. Has anyone else besides nadrealista also have this problem and found a solution for a fix? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I apologize for posting again on such an old topic, but I am having the same problem. The woofer powers on and you can hear the "click" on the amp, but no sound. I opened it up and did a visiual inspection of the fuses, capacitors and resistors and the only thing I found was a crack on the shell of on one of the capacitors near the amp. I have circled it in the attached image (an image someone else posted earlier). Could this be the cause?

Also, whoever posted that there was a bad capacitor, would it be possible for you to repost an image with that area highlighted? Thank you all so much for your help!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadrealista /forum/post/12383227

It turned out to be blown capacitor on crossover..back in business :) of harassing the neighbors..just kidding..I like this sub..it has a punch and accuracy due to its push pull design..

Hi, looks like a common issue with this sub. All the symptoms are the same, including mine. It will power up but no audio output. It does however click slightly when powering on and off.

Can you let us know which CAP you replaced. Much appreciated.

R

·
Registered
41 Posts
To all the people experiencing problems with this sub, did you: turn the sub on and off manually (pushing the power button in/out) every time you used it, or did you always keep the sub in standby (red LED on the front) and use it's "auto on" feature?

I'm curious because I own 3 of these subs and use the "auto on" feature which is not very sensitive. I've noticed that when watching TV at low volume levels the sub can turn on/off ten+ times over the course of an evening... so maybe it's that type of use that leads to premature failure? In any event, I think I'll start turning them on/off manually. . .

·
Registered
2 Posts
My sony sub wx700 has no power output, has anybody made a trip to RadioShack to purchase a replacement C860 Capacitor and a R830 resistor as I have inspected mine and found them to be burnt up. I made the trip to my local radio shack and I did not have the specs for the resistor as far as ohms and also if theirs were fusible or not. I do know that the original sony part numbers and part of the specs for the factory ones. If anybody has purchased RadioShack parts I could really use the part numbers from RadioShack.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts