AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just connected and set up my Samsung SIR-T165. I ran into a minor but inconvenient problem. The automatic channel setup did not find local stations 7-1 (KGO-DT) and 7-2 (KGO-DT2), even though channel 7 analog is very strong, and my antenna is pointed right at KGO. It could be (?) that they were down during scan, or something else could be going on.

Anyway, I want to know how to force tuning to 7-1 or 7-2, to see if I can now receive them, and if so add them to the station list. This seems impossible given the T-165 controls. Pressing 7 takes me to 7-0 (analog KGO). Pressing 71 has no effect (max channel is 67).

Obviously, I misunderstand something - there wouldn't just be a button missing on the remote.... Can anyone enlighten me ?

Gerrit

([email protected])

·
Registered
161 Posts
Funny! Third time this question comes up today.

Go to: http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/audio2?x=tvq.html and type in KGO in the search. That shows that KGO has channel 24 for digital transmission.

Simply key in channel 24 on the remote. If the 165 gets a signal AND good PSIP info, it will convert it automatically to channel 7-1 plus any other sub-channels specified in the PSIP. It will also add those to the memorized channels.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, that is indeed it. KGO still doesn't work, but if I key in 56 it displays 2-1 (KTVU), so your answer is 100% right.

Anybody have any idea why KGO is not decoding ?

Location is North Los Altos, ZIP 94022, 1 story house, antenna on roof post, RadioShack 50" VHF/UHF antenna 15-2151, pointed to 315 degrees.

I do receive:

19 (20-1/2) WB San Francisco, 30% (4 bars)

29 (5-1) KPIX San Fransisco, 50% (7 bars)

30 (9-1/2) KQED San Fransisco, 50% (7 bars)

39 (38-1) KCNS ??????????, 35% (5 bars)

45 (45-1) KBHK San Fransisco, 35% (5 bars)

49 (48-1) KSTS San Jose, 15% (2 bars)

52 (36-1) KICU San Jose, 20% (3 bars)

56 (2-1) KTVU Oakland, 15% (2 bars)

57 (4-1/2) KRON San Fransisco, 15% (2 bars)

I would expect that since 19 and 29 come in quite strong from San Fransisco, that 24 (7-1) KGO would also.... Is it down ?

·
Registered
924 Posts
I guess this shows that the manual is lacking in this area. [/quote]

And the box, the fact that you cannot direct tune regardless of psip info caused me to rethink purchasing this unit, if this is changed or can be changed through firmware upgrades I hope someone will post info.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Quote:
And the box, the fact that you cannot direct tune regardless of psip info caused me to rethink purchasing this unit, if this is changed or can be changed through firmware upgrades I hope someone will post info.
I do not know where you get your information but I and other people posted that Samsung works fine with channels with no PSIP. The best example is Dish 5000 mod which works flawlessly. Maybe KGO has something screwed up in their PSIP and that is causing a problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After more experimenting, I was able to pull KGO in fine. I had a lossy 2-way splitter in the antenna to T165 connection that caused below recognition treshold reception.

There is no problem with the T165, or with KGO's PSIP. Indeed, the manual should better explain how to tune a given station, but that's all.

So to summarize what I (as beginner) now understand. This is probably obvious to most experienced forum members:

There is no such thing as channel 7-1, 7-2. KGO (channel 7) was given a new channel (UHF 24) to temporarily broadcast analog and digital simultaneous. As soon as you scan for stations, or explicitly tune channel 24 with the SIR T165, it recognizes presence of a digital signal. The digital signal broadcast on UHF 24 then identifies itself as '7-1' and '7-2', i.e. two digital 'channels' associated with regular channel 7 (this info is called the PSIP). The T165 now knows that this is the digital version of channel 7 and when you step through stations with channel up/down, it presents 7-0, then 7-1, then 7-2, then 9-1 (in my case). You have to manually delete 7-0, since it is useless once 7-1/2 come in reliable.

I don't feel real bad about my lack of understanding. Especially after noticing that some of the broadcast stations get their PSIP wrong. For example, KBHK (channel 44) has digital on channel 45, identifying itself as 45-1, i.s.o. 44-1. And KDTV, channel 14, has digital on 51 that identifies itself as 51-1 i.s.o. 14-1. I guess we're not quite ready for consumer prime time yet !

OK, I'm learning. And HD is gorgeous. Especially KQED's HD demo program is stunning. I could watch it all day.

Thanks all for your help. This is a great forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.