AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,

I am converting my 20x20 box shape family room into a budget home theatre. Its is literally a square box. Ceiling I believe is 12ft, (not raised). North side of Room will be the viewing wall, south side of wall has a floor to ceiling built in book case.

Planning on have a projector with 120" screen and need to figure out my mounting/cabling strategy for projector, components, speakers. Replacing the carpets and repainting walls, so have some possibility there.

Any thoughts would be appreciated on the following:

Questions:
-How should mount and cable the projector on the ceiling? Do I have to add a raised ceiling?
-What do I do with my components? Should they go in a cabinet? Where would a cabinet go?
-How should I mount/place my speakers and run its speaker wire? Should I run speaker wiring under carpet?
-Would love to add some crown molding - so the room has a little more definition
-Have some small windows on west wall that will be covered with some curtains
-Should I have any kind of sound proofing / sound absorption?
-Need a lighting strategy - room has basic track lighting on ceiling

Contraints:
-Minimal construction impact to walls/ceiling
-Carpet can be replaced - still sourcing
-Walls can be painted
-Don't want components in a cabinet on the viewing wall
-Looking for affordable heavy curtains
-Room will have an L-shaped sofa
-Looking for affordable nice crown molding

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
Typically you can mount the projector to the ceiling with a mount that hangs it down several inches to a couple feet. With your 12" ceilings it's still gonna be up there a ways but that's how I'd do it. If you go this route you'll need a power outlet installed and an HDMI port installed. If you get a good PJ you could mount it on the back wall, but since it's throwing 20' you'll need a good quality bright pj.

I ran all my cables to a closet for the equipment to sit in and hide. There are 2 things to consider if you do this, it needs to be cooled some how and you need a repeater system for your remote controls.

For the windows get some real heavy duty black out curtains. This will give you light control and help eliminate reflection points. In my experience PJ's are not very good unless you can block out most of your outside light.

Do you have easy attic access? Running cables yourself will be the most affordable way to do all this. Or if your house has a crawlspace or basement you may be able to run your wires under the house. You can run speaker wires under carpet but I'm not sure if code allows that. I did this once and it creates a bit of a small speed bump in the carpet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The interesting thing about this room it has no crawlspace as it was an extension to the house. Since there is some track lighting - power is up in the ceiling some where.

Is there a maximum HDMI run I should optimize for

Going with a BenQ 1075 pj and Silver Ticket silver-grey screen, probably using a Onkyo 838 Receiver with some Polk Bookshelf Speakers I have for now.

Always helpful answers - thanks!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Being in an old NYC apt bldg, I ran into many problems similar to your own. 1 example is i had to mount the pj and speaker wires with wire channel.

click on the link in my signature below and go to post 36 for pictures.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts