AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 413 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Petition: LG: Allow OLED TV owners to turn off dimming

Following the thread I opened here and the solution that was found here:

The LG OLED TV will dim when the "average" picture stays unchanged for more than 60s.
This can be really annoying when watching videos/movies that have scenes longer than 60s.
This feature/function cannot be turned off in the normal user accessible menu. It can however be disabled the Service Menu (also known as IN-START):

How to access the Service Menu:
Follow instructions given here or buy the Service Menu Explorer LG TV Android App (US$ 6,06) (See attachment 01).
Press the blue button on the left, labelled "IN START" in my screenshot.
The TV will ask for a password, it should be 0413.

What to change:
Go to "13. OLED" (if you dont see it, press exit on the remote and access the Service Menu again).
Set "TPC Enable" to '0' or 'Off' (depending on your model/firmware). (See attachment 02)
Press Exit on the remote. (The change will be saved)
Enjoy.

Tips:
You only need the App to access the Service Menu, you can use the normal remote to enter the password and navigate inside the menu.
Return doesn't work, you will have to use the app button (the left one, blue, labelled "IN START" in my screenshot) to "navigate back".
The Red button on the app gives you access to "EZ Adjust".

Disclaimer: I don't know what "TPC" stand for nor if this is:
- A power saving feature
- A feature to prevent burn-in
- Both of the above
So turn it off at your own risk

Attachments

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Have you noticed any burn in from tv logos, scoreboards, etc by turning this off? I read somewhere that LG employs some local dimming to areas on tv that have the static logos, and by turning this off could cause issues.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Have you found any useful adjustments using the EZ adjust menu?
There are many settings but I didn't find anything useful to me.
If you want I can take pics of what's in there.

Have you noticed any burn in from tv logos, scoreboards, etc by turning this off? I read somewhere that LG employs some local dimming to areas on tv that have the static logos, and by turning this off could cause issues.
I don't watch TV and I only use the TV with non static images so I cannot answer your question. I also don't know how long the exposure has to be in order to burn-in nor if dimming those areas really helps.

All I wanted was to get rid of this annoying "feature" that has been killing movie experience for me until I found how to turn it off.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
There are many settings but I didn't find anything useful to me.
If you want I can take pics of what's in there.

I don't watch TV and I only use the TV with non static images so I cannot answer your question. I also don't know how long the exposure has to be in order to burn-in nor if dimming those areas really helps.

All I wanted was to get rid of this annoying "feature" that has been killing movie experience for me until I found how to turn it off.
Thanks. I guess a safe solution for me is to disable when I watch a blu ray, then enable again after I am done. Only takes 10 seconds.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think it's for panel protection but related to energy efficiency/saving.
Now I am not an expert so I could be wrong.

At least they can "fix"/adjust them:
- Tune ASBL to only kick in when it's a still image. (atm it kicks in also in video playback)
- Tune ABL to only kick in when luminance is above 200 cd/m2 for example. (atm even when you set OLED LIGHT to 20 (100 cd/m2) it will dim down to 30 cd/m2)

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I don't think it's for panel protection but related to energy efficiency/saving.
Now I am not an expert so I could be wrong.

At least they can "fix"/adjust them:
- Tune ASBL to only kick in when it's a still image. (atm it kicks in also in video playback)
- Tune ABL to only kick in when luminance is above 200 cd/m2 for example. (atm even when you set OLED LIGHT to 20 (100 cd/m2) it will dim down to 30 cd/m2)

This is too complicated for average users and if the ability to turn off these functions were enabled they would certainly inadvertently lead to burn in by many. Thus the attorneys come into play because they don't want unnecessary warranty claims or worse, lawsuits.

Also, the manufacturers don't know how to explain what functions do in the first place. Take the Brightness control: The manuals usually say something like "to increase picture brightness" so the user, thinking he will bet a brighter picture, raises black level and destroys Contrast. The manufacturers have never gotten it right. I lived in Japan in '70-'71 and bought a Sansuii 5000A audio receiver that came with a manual in English. It was like reading a joke book.

Calibrators can easily deal with ABL by using windows patterns and ASBL is handled as I stated in #4 of this post.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have an LG OLED TV and I love it. No burn in, no problems, easy adjustments - you can get as deep into them as you want.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Did you set TPC Enable to zero on your tv in the service menu? If not, then you did not really answer my question.
Since disabling 'TPC Enable' on my set, I have spent hours with windowed content on my set playing with gray scale and testing luminance vs OLED light and contrast level. I can easily see the window on a dark grey slide. One compensation cycle has thus far completely cleared up any IR

·
Registered
4,032 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did you set TPC Enable to zero on your tv in the service menu? If not, then you did not really answer my question.
I obviously don't understand your question. I can't find "TPC Enable" anywhere on/in any menus in my 55EC9300 OLED. :eek:

·
Registered
62 Posts
There is a trick that is used for calibration that can defeat the ABSL and is pretty painless. If you have one of the small LG remotes, if you hit the scroll up or down one click, it will show the arrow, move it around. Many times this will change the image enough to disable the ABSL. If not, move the arrow to the top, it will show the info pane. This pane disables the ABSL and disappears after a couple of seconds. If you have a larger LG remote or a universal remote it's even easier. Just hit the info button on TV mode to show the pane, which again disappears in a couple of seconds. Advantages are that its quick, easy, and doesn't void your warranty. Disadvantage is that it has to be done every time it happens, however, that may be for our own good or the good of LG's rep

·
Premium Member
12,499 Posts
Anyone tried increasing it to 2 or 3 and see if it increases the time before it kicks in?

1 - 20 of 413 Posts