AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have found this forum very helpful in the past and I am sort of stuck with the best way to configure my setup. I know there is a lot of information out there but at the moment I am slightly overwhelmed.

I recently purchased a HDPVR to turn my computer into a DVR. At the moment I have it setup on a windows xp machine with the software it came with (total media extreme, wintv and I use titantv and remote scheduler). This all works and works well but there are a few issues. Hopefully these issues are just things I have overlooked. BTW my HTPC is Win7 and I use WMC with Mediabrowser

1) Shows are given a file name that isn't very informative. Its always "Seinfeld_0213_0030", name_date_time. Which is nice to know but doesn't carry data like S4E11 The Contest which makes it much easier to use with metabrowser/mediabrowser.

2) I can't get TitanTV ( http://www.titantv.com/ ) to record more than one show at a time. I don't see the option for a season pass or first run only or every episode etc. Which is a minor inconvenience... but one that I would think would be avoidable.

3) At the moment I am recording things in M2TS. Total Media Extreme also gives me the option of MP4 and TS I believe and I don't know whats the best for me.

4) I understand the option of using DVBLink and WMC. I set up the HDPVR on my win7 machine but I honestly ran into too many issues for me to feel safe with it as a PVR. Half the time I would run into the "no signal" message and have to reboot/power cycle the HDPVR. My win7 machine is not on 24/7 and I currently use an XP machine as a file server. In the future it might turn into a Sever2003 machine and neither of those OS as far as I know run WMC and would benefit from DVBLink.

5) This will be more important once I get things up and running but I know there are various programs which scan for commercials and either remove them or allow you to skip them. Suggestions?

oh I should also note that at this time live TV is not a priority. Just the ability to record and have it stored away nicely for furture viewing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow I just realized I made a typo in the title. Whoops.

I have been fooling around with other various DVR software and have issues with all of them. I own a BeyondTV license and tried using that again. It worked well in the past but It appears to only save HD content in an undesirable file format (.tp?)

For the life of me I can't figure out how to get the HDPVR to work with GBPVR. It doesn't seem to be a listing for an input device and when I select "only show devices attached to this machine" I get nothing.

I had issues with DBLink so I am not thrilled about trying Win7 Media Center again.

I don't have a linux setup to try mythtv...

Any help or suggestions with my problems? Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.