AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking more and more about the need over the desire of paying for Cable TV. I have a commercial Panasonic. So I just applied for my DTV convertor box coupons. Now I can upgrade the non-tuner monitor. Just an idea for anyone else who might have a monitor. If I decide to go OTA, I'll be able to use my display for more than just DVD / BR.

-Jeff

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
You need to make sure the converter has baseband (composite video and analog audio) output.

This would need an optional composite input board for the Plasma and be limited to 480i resolution.

Another route is the ePvision/PrimeHD PHD-205 tuner reviewed in other threads here at AVS. The cost is about the same as a converter + composite input board.

T Wiz has modified his PHD-205 to work with the Panasonic Plasma (grey)remote (series 8 and up) and feeds a TH58PH10UKA HD 1080i via VGA.

Looks better than the cable box but of course does not descramble so it only gets NTSC, ATSC, and "clear" QAM cable channels and the local cable system keeps scrambling more and more of its non-OTA digital channels, go figure.

TW

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
You'll probably want a tuner that outputs HD -- unfortunately none of the ones eligible for the coupon do that.

There's a whole AVSForum section for this.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ooops. I will look for the other thread.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroonzo /forum/post/14336084

I've been thinking more and more about the need over the desire of paying for Cable TV. I have a commercial Panasonic. So I just applied for my DTV convertor box coupons. Now I can upgrade the non-tuner monitor. Just an idea for anyone else who might have a monitor. If I decide to go OTA, I'll be able to use my display for more than just DVD / BR.

The DTV converter boxes only output the "HD" channels at 480i. Pretty much all of them have regular yellow/red/white Composite Video/Audio outputs. I bought both a RadioShack Digital Stream DTX-9950 and and the Insignia NS-DXA1 (BB's rebadged Zenith DTT-901) for two older TVs but i tested them on my older 42PX50U and newer 42PZ700U and they both perform well, but still doesn't look nearly as good as actual HD. I like the DTX-9950 much better (better remote which also has extra buttons to control the TV's volume and switch the TV's inputs, a better EPG, analog pass-through, and it has an anamorphic setting that properly fills the screen on my plasmas). I use a $25 Philips Silver Sensor antenna and get an excellent signal.

If you want an actual HD tuner, Samsung has their model number DTB-H260F for under a few hundred bucks at BB. I don't know if there are any more HD OTA tuners being made or not - the selection seems to have waned over the past few years.

Another option is to buy a Tivo HD and subscribe to their service and you'll be able to record two OTA HD shows simultaneously and play them back whenever you want.

Here's the CECB Forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=186

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yes using a DVR as a tuner would probably be the best bet, you could use a Tivo or even a media center computer for your tuner.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Or you could go with an FTA (free to aire)box like the SonicView 8000; it's what I use on my 50" 9uk and it has HD on OTA via DTV through HDMI or component (alot of acronyms huh)

they run about $360 on ebay right now and have a PVR or DVR when you hook a external hard drive to it without any monthly charges. It's pretty cool. Then if you want to use it to get free HD programming with a satellite dish ,you could do that, legally or illegally but thats ethically up to you

·
Registered
75 Posts
ANY used sat receiver will work as an ATSC off-air tuner and will output both SD and HD as needed thru component or DVI/HDMI to your TV. Some don't even need sat service, unless you just HAVE to have the guide work. Sony HD300's go for $20.00 - $50.00 on ebay.

If you want QAM (cable-ready digital tuner) SD & HD for cable, Samsung has the DTB-H260F for $180.00 new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts