AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi. I have a Sony 5.1 speaker package which I bought about 7 years ago attached to a DVD recorder. The recorder died but I realised I could still use the speaker system by connecting it directly to my TV via optical cable. The system sounds OK for films - quite a nice all round sound. I'd like to upgrade my system by adding a budget AV receiver (I have a Blu Ray player and Sky box to connect via HDMI) but the issue seems to be that I still can only use this speaker system via optical, and AV receivers don't seem to have optical out. Should I simply ditch this speaker system and start again?

Secondly, I like my hifi separates system (late 1980's NAD amp, Yamaha CD player and wharfedale floor standing speakers which all sound great) but would love to bring all my AV together in to one system, because I would like to listen to radio off the sky box too.

NB. have a decent pair of bi-wireable atax speakers sitting doing nothing as well which could be used.

So, can I use hifi speakers as part of an AV system? (maybe use my wharfedales as my front left and right speakers, and the attax's as rear speakers?) Then I could play CD's off my blu ray player without needing the hifi separates? I could sell my hifi separates to fund the AV receiver as I am on a tight budget anyway!

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Get the Onkyo TX-SR-313 receiver from Amazon for $190.

Connect your Wharfedale speakers to it and get the BIC DV-32CLR center speaker for $40 (set receiver to use it from 120Hz and above).

You can use any of your existing speakers for the rear, or buy a pair of the very good Dayton B652 speakers for only $40 (they really are good; the price is crazy low....but they are good).

Since most TVs have on optical output, someone will probably give you a few bucks for the Sony speaker system.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1521684/how-to-upgrade-my-sony-5-1-or-combine-my-hifi-system#post_24459085

Connect your Wharfedale speakers to it and get the BIC DV-32CLR center speaker for $40 (set receiver to use it from 120Hz and above).

Do NOT buy a mismatched center channel for your HT setup. It may sound worse than no center channel at all. Your front soundstage should timbre match, which generally means using the same speakers from the same make/model series.

Before we can help you, we need some more information:

What make/model is your Sony setup?

What model are your Wharfedales?

What is your budget for your upgrades?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorwichRicky  /t/1521684/how-to-upgrade-my-sony-5-1-or-combine-my-hifi-system#post_24459251

Thanks for the advice. Do you think a subwoofer will not be needed due to using front hifi speakers?

A good subwoofer is an important part of an HT setup because it's a speaker specifically designed for producing bass, and a good one can go lower/deeper than any speaker you could buy. Even if you spend a lot of money on tower speakers, they will not be able to produce the bass that a good sub can. And if you buy a good sub, then bookshelf sized speakers will generally work fine because the sub is going to handle the low frequencies anyway.

Reactions: NorwichRicky

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Interestingly I've just attached my Eltax bookshelf speakers to front and left & right with the Sony system and have got an immediate sound improvement - a slightly wider soundstage and richer midrange. I wasn't expecting it to work at all!

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Sony HTIB speakers are not known for having good SQ. Should not be hard at all to improve upon them.

So what is your budget? What kind of Wharfedales do you have?

Reactions: NorwichRicky

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I haven't set a budget - just as little as possible really.

I have Wharfedale Diamond 10.3 floorstanding speakers.

Really amazed at my little Eltax speakers today (Eltax Symphony 4.2 bookshelf speakers). They are singing along nicely with the Sony middle speaker, with the sound field set as PLII Music on the system (whatever that is!!)

Maybe I'll sell the wharfedalesas as well as the NAD and Yamaha, in order to help finance a receiver?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Get a Wharfedale Diamond 10.CC or 10.CS or 10.CM... This will be the center channel.

Use your Diamond 10.3's as front left and right and your Eltax speakers as surrounds,

Get a subwoofer to handle all the deep bass, and a receiver to power and control it all and you are golden.

Please begin to think of a budget. There are $50,000 usd speakers are those in your budget? How about $5,000 on a pair of speakers

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1521684/how-to-upgrade-my-sony-5-1-or-combine-my-hifi-system#post_24467648

Please begin to think of a budget. There are $50,000 usd speakers are those in your budget? How about $5,000 on a pair of speakers

Agreed.

Otherwise, the answer to "just as little as possible really" could be don't upgrade. Obviously, you want some improvement though. So the best way for us to help is to suggest what we feel are the best price/performance values for a budget. Otherwise, you already own Wharfedale Diamond 10.3. Just get more of those like crazyrob suggested and build on that set.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thanks for all the help everyone. Probably should have set a budget first but here's what I'll be shopping for to add to my existing four speakers:

Wharfedale 10 cc

Wharfedale SW150 sub

Onkyo TXNR525 receiver

Should cost approx. £600 for this little lot and should hopefully sound fantastic.

Will let you know! :)

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorwichRicky  /t/1521684/how-to-upgrade-my-sony-5-1-or-combine-my-hifi-system#post_24469238

Thanks for all the help everyone. Probably should have set a budget first but here's what I'll be shopping for to add to my existing four speakers:

Wharfedale 10 cc

Wharfedale SW150 sub

Onkyo TXNR525 receiver

Should cost approx. £600 for this little lot and should hopefully sound fantastic.

Will let you know! :)

That should be really nice since you already have those great speakers to use as your left/right mains

1 - 13 of 13 Posts