AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so here is what I would like to do:

I am going to start building a home entertainment system (nothing purchased yet), but I would like to connect the same PC in my office to the entertainment system.

In my office, I have two outputs- a 24" Dell monitor and a 42" plasma. Monitor is connected via SVGA, and plasma via HDMI. The outputs are cloned and I just use the monitor for work and the plasma for gaming. (Running Windows 7 home Premium (64 bit) and Nvidia Geforce GTS 240)

What I would like to know is how to integrate a third entirely independent output from this system (preferably via HDMI). I have no idea the best way to go about doing this,

* Will a splitter from my PC's HDMI output allow for different resolutions of different sized televisions?

* Should I purchase a second video card and run the entertainment system through that?

* Recievers with dual HDMI-out seem pretty expensive, but is that the best bet?

I am brand new to this, so any input, ideas, or solutions I haven't thought of would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need other system specs.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Best advice - don't...

It's hard enough to get it working correctly on one display and trying to get it to work properly on different displays in different rooms is going to be a mess.

Honestly, the "Will a splitter from my PC's HDMI output allow for different resolutions of different sized televisions?" questions shows that this really isn't the best course of action. (The answer is "not in a million years")

You really (really) want to have a separate device (key word "device) in each room, although they should all be networked. If you use your PC as a quasi "server" and store your media there, it's a good first step.

Of course, that all depends on what kind of media you're talking about as BD files will fill up any hard drive in short order and your next question will be along the lines of "I need more storage, should I set up a media server?"

If you don't want a separate (fairly inexpensive) PC in each room, there are a variety of media extenders available that will do the trick pretty easily. You start with one, get it working properly and figure out it's strengths/weakness + how to configure it and add more to other tvs as needed.

Seriously, the whole "one PC for the whole house" thing can be done, but it's WAY more work to build/operate and (with VERY) few exceptions not worth the time + trouble.

·
Registered
764 Posts
You would be FAR better off using some type of extender for the other display such as an Xbox360.

BT

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I did do this, but got away from that setup just as fast; not worth it.

I still do, however, use my HTPC for Hulu and Internet streams throughout the whole house via simple VGA+3.5 audio. Although it's not used much for that.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Can be done with money and effort. Mostly the latter. If running ethernet cable - more than one to the same location - through your house just isn't an option then don't bother reading any further, just buy HTPC's for each TV and be done with it

I have 4 TV's in my house, 2 upstairs, 2 down. The upstairs media room also feeds my downstairs bedroom TV and my upstairs guest room TV. It's also my Media Portal TV Server, which streams TV everywhere.

My downstairs living room TV has it's own smaller HTPC. It gets live TV streamed from the TV server but handles everything else itself.

All media is stored centrally on my Synology Diskstation NAS (which is actually in my study).

Sound neat? It is. Visitors are always wondering how the hell I did it (they are more impressed by Media Portal's interface, though). The answer is: it was a PITA. The trick is Ethernet cable, and lots of it. Every room in my house is wired. My bedroom and guest rooms have two runs. I use HDMI extenders (these: http://www.amazon.com/SIIG-CE-HM0052...0468650&sr=1-1 ) to power the displays off an HDMI matrix switcher (this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 ). The Living Room HTPC just has a single Ethernet cable it streams off of.

It works great - now - but was a lot of effort to get set up, particularly the cables, and wasn't cheap either. Don't even think about wireless yet btw - we aren't there yet. Be a few years and then some before wireless, non-line-of-sight, HDMI becomes an effective option.

Just do yourself a favor and do a second HTPC. You can build a small one for cheap, check the guide in this forum. Stay away from Atom PC's and/or ION 2 systems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.