AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was installing in-ceiling speakers over the weekend. The house was pre-wired for 6 speakers, 4 downstairs and 2 upstairs. The speaker cables to the upstairs have 4 conductors in each cable, instead of 2. How should I use them? Should I connect 2 of the 4 conductors to the + terminal of the speaker, and other 2 to the - terminal?

I appreciate any help?

·
Registered
89 Posts
NO NO NO!

you need to trace the wires to where they all come out of the wall (where your equipment will be).

they probably ran 1-4 cond cable, at the closest speaker, cut the jacket and used 2 conds for that speaker (say the red and black,) then continued to the other one with the green and yellow.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
It could be either. You can get cable with 4 strands (Canare 4S11 is one), which makes is easy to biwire speakers (you can connect two each to the binding posts on the amp/receiver, and one to each binding post on the speakers), or it could be one for each terminal for each speaker, as the previous poster said. I guess if, for two speakers, and you have 8 cables, then you need to hook up two to each binding post (or you can only hook one up, it'll just be a smaller gauge cable with less resistance).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.