AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am in need of some help. I have a PSA XV-15 and have placed it in the best location, determined by crawl test, but not getting really great low end-no gut punching or couch rattling. I have a copy of Joe Kanes Blu-ray HD, DVE essentials, which has various sub test tones. Does anybody know how to use them, I am really new to this and have no clue what I should do. I have tried the program in my Yamaha RX-A730 and it set the sub at -3, I was thinking about goosing it a little to see what happens, but still would like to find a way that I can get the best possible bass response.

Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
15,006 Posts
"Gut punching" and "couch rattling" often means that a subwoofer's location has resulted in placing a room resonance peak at the primary listening position, not that the bass is accurate there. However, most people do prefer bass when it's turned up a few dB.

If you haven't already considered it, a spectrum analysis system like OmniMic or REW can show what's actually going on, rather than leaving you guessing what's happening with your speakers in your room.

You also might want to consider investing in a tactile transducer which will vibrate your couch to enhance your experience of the low frequencies that your subwoofer isn't providing.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2  /t/1523770/how-to-use-dve-hd-blu-ray-to-calibrate-sub#post_24516390

Hi, I am in need of some help. I have a PSA XV-15 and have placed it in the best location, determined by crawl test, but not getting really great low end-no gut punching or couch rattling. I have a copy of Joe Kanes Blu-ray HD, DVE essentials, which has various sub test tones. Does anybody know how to use them, I am really new to this and have no clue what I should do. I have tried the program in my Yamaha RX-A730 and it set the sub at -3, I was thinking about goosing it a little to see what happens, but still would like to find a way that I can get the best possible bass response.

Thanks for any insight.
If you ran YPAO and it set the sub to -3, turn the sub gain up just a little bit and rerun YPAO.  Try to get it around -6 to -9 after running the auto setup up in your 

AVR.  YPAO and other programs tend to set sub volumes very low for most peoples taste.  After running this, try adjusting the sub trim in your AVR upwards by 3-6 dB until you are happy with the sound.  It is not uncommon for people to prefer running the sub 6 dB or so hot.

·
Registered
14,312 Posts
Also the higher end Yamahas(starting with the 7xx series) have Ypao RSC with 8 point measurement. I found by taking all 8 measurements from the primary listening positions, Ypao did a much better job with calibrating...actually it is night and day.

For example, if I just ran a single measurement at my LP, Ypao would set the sub trim around -9. After running multipoint, Ypao set the sub trim -5, and the distance settings were changed just enough that the sound is much better. I need to break REW back out and see what it looks like.

I would start with the gain set around 2:00 and as I previously mentioned run multipoint at the seating locations sit only. I made the mistake once of placing the mic around 8 different locations in the room and it jacked up the sound at my LP lol.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1523770/how-to-use-dve-hd-blu-ray-to-calibrate-sub#post_24518729

Also the higher end Yamahas(starting with the 7xx series) have Ypao RSC with 8 point measurement. I found by taking all 8 measurements from the primary listening positions, Ypao did a much better job with calibrating...actually it is night and day.

For example, if I just ran a single measurement at my LP, Ypao would set the sub trim around -9. After running multipoint, Ypao set the sub trim -5, and the distance settings were changed just enough that the sound is much better. I need to break REW back out and see what it looks like.

I would start with the gain set around 2:00 and as I previously mentioned run multipoint at the seating locations sit only. I made the mistake once of placing the mic around 8 different locations in the room and it jacked up the sound at my LP lol.

Not sure if my RX-A730 allows for multi-point measurements. When I plug mic in and activate the auto sequence, it completes very quickly. Then I have the option of saving it-doesn't ask if I want to run an analysis from another position.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One thing that I forgot to mention is that I am only running a 5.1 setup, but when you go to the "amp assign" section of the setup menu, it only gives options for bi-amp +zone 2 or 7.1, I selected bi-amp, doubt that this will influence the YPAO, but not sure.

·
Registered
14,312 Posts
My mistake the A730 does not have multi point, but my V773 does so I assumed yours would. After looking at the 730 specs, I am not sure why Yamaha even offers the 730. The 773/775 has all the features of the 730, but includes a full set of preouts, multipoint measure, and party mode.

Anyway I would still set the XV15 amp gain around 2:00, re run Ypao, avr sub trim will be around -6 after calibration, then you can manually adjust it

from there.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I actually set the sub gain to 3:00 and set the trim to -1, then watched Act of Valor and it was fantastic, just needed that extra sub gain.

Wish I had multipoint equalization, though.

·
Registered
14,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2  /t/1523770/how-to-use-dve-hd-blu-ray-to-calibrate-sub#post_24521115

Thanks, I actually set the sub gain to 3:00 and set the trim to -1, then watched Act of Valor and it was fantastic, just needed that extra sub gain.

Wish I had multipoint equalization, though.

Good deal!! Yes multipoint is a nice feature.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts