AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i just had a professional tv-calibrator come out to calibrate my Pioneer Pro Elite fhd-1 50" plasma the other day. he told me that to improve night-time viewing, that i could go to the local aquarium/fish store and buy a flourescent bulb (w/hood enclosure ?) of approx. 15-20w , and specifically 6500 Kelvin, to install/attach behind my tv. does this sound like a legit thing to do ? i have contacted a couple local aquarium stores but i cant find the appropriate bulb/hood product yet. do they sell this kind of thing online at places like ABT or other home-theatre type retailers ? thanks ....

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
A possibly more convenient alternative would be to just buy a regular spiral fluorescent bulb that's 6500k and put it in a near-by lamp/light fixture, if you don't mind using a bulb of that color temp of course. It may not be as effective as having the light mounted behind your set, but it will help nonetheless. This is what I'm currently doing in my living room and will most likely do the same once my basement is finished and I move everything down there.

I find that using biased lighting helps improve contrast and also reduces eye fatigue.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've done this as well, I have a 6500 40 watt bulb in a desk lamp behind my set. My set is sort of angled in a corner, so the light is in the floor behind it curled over aimed at the wall. It's very subtle but it does enhance the color and screen depth I think. My wife hates it cause the lighting is white, but I've subdued it enough now where she doesn't pay attention to it. I went through two lamps and about four bulbs before I was satisfied with out it worked. I never tried the aquarium stores.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got my setup at Wal-Mart. I found a wall mountable light and a 6500K bulb that I've installed on the wall behind my TV. I think it reduces eye strain and also makes the picture look better. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
266 Posts
What you are asking about is commonly referred to as "Bias lighting." A search will turn up quite a bit of discussion on the topic (I recall an 'official' thread on it but a quick search didn't turn it up) with most results very positive. While 6500K is the ideal color almost anything will help - and it also depends on your wall color behind the set so it's a bit YMMV as to what lamp color will work best in your specific situation.

·
Registered
232 Posts
i took an under-cabinet lamp that had two 10-watt halogen bulbs in it and mounted it to the sloping back of my crt rptv. when we watch movies i just reach over the top and turn it on. it shines up at the wall behind the tv. works great! my wife can now watch movies in a dark room without her head hurting, and i can watch without reflections from a floor lamp.

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Was waiting for someone to reference cinemaquest. George seems like a very knowledgable source for all things HT and especially Bias lighting. I have a Philips LCD with ambilight and love it. It is always on during night viewing.

While any light will "work", George is adamant that anything other that a true 6500K light will negatively affect how you percieve other colors on your screen. That is assuming that your set is calibrated to 6500K to begin with. He also mentions that a lot of fluorescent lights that advertise 6500K are really not very close to that color temp. I think the idea of going to an aquirium shop would be a good way to get a quality bulb that is true to the spec'd color temp.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my 50" plasma sits about 2 ft. above the ground on a flat glass stand/component stand , parallel with the wall behind it (approx. 14" between tv frame and wall). the wall paint color is like a light-tan. decent size family room w/high ceilings,semi-open floorplan. we sit about 8 feet away from tv. what color(s) do you think would be best ? also, approx. what wattage do you think ? thanks, i'm glad i discovered this info on Bias lighting, can't wait to get it set up and watch some hd in a couple of nights (i finally found a local fish/aquarium store that sells these bulbs 15w and about 18" long with an optional hooded enclosure. now i just have to figure out what color and size/wattage would be ideal before purchasing)

·
Registered
250 Posts
I thought I would post what my setup looks like with the 6500 40 wt bulb I have behind it. Its a little tricky because we have the set cornered in a room because our room is awkwardly shaped. One picture shows the light a bit, the other is with a flash and more light where the light is not noticed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts