AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title says it all, my computer is hooked to the 3313 CI via HDMI coming out directly from my GTX 690.

If I play 5.1 movies with VLC player or games all the speakers work, including the subwoofer. Now, with music, I cant get it to work. I could get it to work with a Winamp app tho, but it sucked, the bass was just too heavy and unnatural.

The subwoofer is a HSU vtf-2 Mk3. Its a quality sub.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

It is a setting in your receiver.

Judging from what you say, I would guess that you have set your speakers to "large" and so the bass in a stereo track will just go to your front right and left speakers, if you are otherwise bypassing all processing.  With a 5.1 soundtrack, you will get the LFE (the ".1" channel) going to the subwoofer.

So, the solution is to set all of your speakers to "small," and select an appropriate crossover frequency (which depends on the particular speakers you have; you want the crossover above the -3dB point in the bass part of the frequency response of your speakers).

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, okay, but I dont even know how to crossover. My fronts are Ascend Acoustic's CMT-340's

And you are right, they are set as large speakers!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I finally fine tuned it and now it sounds AWESOME. When I was setting it for the first time Audigy told me to set the subwoofer volume to middle. But it turns out middle is way waaaaaaaay waaaaaaaaaay too loud. Its more like 26%, I set the crossover to 100, but maybe I'll take it down to 90...

anyway, sounds sweet now. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Sacrilege! Treat your room and get 120lb 22Hz LFE mains:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts