AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to figure out how to use the line-in connections on the back, or the front, of my RCA UTV. Any suggestions? I want to manually record some video to the hard drive now that I have 110hrs. on board. The manual record option though requires you to specify a channel to record and does not allow you to specify a line-in connection even though there are two sets on the box. Was this perhaps a "marketing" decision by MSFT when the deal with DirecTV was being cut to not connect the line-in jacks?

Thanks!

RB

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
There is no MPEG encoder, and therefore you cannot record any video source that is not from the DirecTV stream. I think the inputs can be used to take snapshots to send as email attachments.

[Edited to add not]

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah
There is no MPEG encoder, and therefore you cannot record any video source that is from the DirecTV stream...
The DirecTV stream is already encoded. Therefore no MPEG encoder is needed to record it. In fact, because the UTV has no encoder, it won't record anything but the DirecTV stream, i.e. no OTA, cable, or other line-in. The D'TiVo is the same way.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Yep, I left out the word "not" in there... thanks. I'll correct it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah
...I think the inputs can be used to take snapshots to send as email attachments.

[Edited to add not]
BINGO! At least the ones on the front. I don't know if the ones on the back do ANYTHING. :confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
You mentioned having 110 Hrs on board. What size and type Hard Drive are you using? I am getting ready to upgrade and am curious. My understanding is that max is 137 Gig. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.