AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So I know that this is probably a very stupid question but I haven't been able to sort this out after reading through some of the forums. I just bought a V-DAC to improve output from a squeezebox and possibly from my CD player. To my understanding of things, the benefit of the V-DAC is to convert digital audio to analog and then send analog signal to the amplifier in my receiver which then goes to the speakers. What I'm confused about is how do I know which input to send the RCA output from the V-DAC to? Right now my set-up is squeezebox (optical)-->V-DAC (RCA)-->"TV input." (chosen because it's open) This should bypass any processing within the receiver right? I've read the manual for my stereo back to front (and back again) but I'm not clear on which inputs are processed and which are just amplified. I would think that all analog inputs are just amplified but I really don't know so I thought I'd ask.

If it helps

Receiver: Pioneer vsx-91txh

CD player Sony csc-CD595

I'm just interested in regular CD playback (I think SACD has to be direct in). I know this is a really basic question but any help is really appreciated. Thanks!

Jat

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
All stereo analog inputs on modern AVRs are converted to digital. You would need to look for some sort of direct mode which specifically could bypass the digital stage (if your receiver has one.)

Another possible option would be a multi-channel input, as those are rarely (if ever?) converted to digital.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I didn't realize that the receiver would still process the sound from analog inputs. It has an option to bypass it on most inputs so that's working. Thanks again!

Jat

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman
All stereo analog inputs on modern AVRs are converted to digital. You would need to look for some sort of direct mode which specifically could bypass the digital stage (if your receiver has one.)

Another possible option would be a multi-channel input, as those are rarely (if ever?) converted to digital.
I find this comment interesting. Is this certain for most receivers? Eg Denon/Marantz/Onk etc? What about those 'pure direct' modes that are on some receivers?

It seems little point to use say a high end CD player or external DAC if the signal has to go through an entire ADC->DAC conversion again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't say for sure if that's true or not but when I use my receiver in anything other than pure "direct mode" 1) there are lights that turn on that suggest it's processing sound 2) it doesn't sound nearly as good 3) the subwoofer isn't on. It seams like the v-dac does not provide a .1 channel.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by busky2k /forum/post/19512840

I find this comment interesting. Is this certain for most receivers? Eg Denon/Marantz/Onk etc? What about those 'pure direct' modes that are on some receivers?

It seems little point to use say a high end CD player or external DAC if the signal has to go through an entire ADC->DAC conversion again!

Some receivers have a direct mode which can send a stereo analog input straight to the pre amp stage, that is true.

Of course, you don't get room correction or bass management as those are done in the DSP.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jataro1 /forum/post/19528425

Is there a way to get the best of both (meaning bass from a subwoofer and external decoder)?

Not that I know of. All bass management I know of is done digitally. So the receiver must convert analog to digital to do bass management.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts