AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a windows 7 HTPC and I get basic cable through coax without a box (so none of it is encryped as far as I know) - everything works fine if it goes directly into my tv. I bought a dual turner HD Homerun with the intention of going through WMC and got all my local channels in Hi-Def and some of the cable channels but most of the good ones (ESPN, CNN, Discover channel etc) didn't come in.

I wasn't aware that you can get both digital and analog channels through coax (should have done my homework) and in looking at HDHomerun's channel guide of my cable company, that seems to be the case for me.

So what's I'm wondering is what alternatives are there to HDHomerun so I can get all my cable channels? I saw that Haupage makes some dual analog/digital tuners but I want to make sure this is what I need. Also, do these work well? I really want it mainly so I can use WMC for everything and not have to use my tv remote to switch over when I want to watch TV. The DVR playback is actually secondary as I don't record much on TV at all. The pause/start is probably just as important.

Also on a similar note, when I did have the HDHomerun setup I noticed that the audio volume in WMC did nothing to actually change my volume. However, if I hit mute it would mute it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 2250 is what I was looking into. It seems that I gain the ability to get all my channels but I lose the networking ability of HDHomerun, which is a fair tradeoff.

I have Cox Cable in Glendale, CA. Before I go any further I was wondering if there is a definite way to find out if some of the channels are in fact analog. When I do the HDhomerun scan using their built in program, the ones I want like ESPN and discovery don't show up. Naturally when I hook the cable plug directly into my TV I get it. Is this a definite way of knowing that those channels must be analog?

Sorry if I sound redundant but I searched everywhere for an answer to this and I've gotten some partial answers but nothing definitive.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Go to your cable provider's website and get a channel guide.

Also, you can go to silicondust.com and go to Support, channels. put in your zipcode, then on the top left select the dropdown for your cable provider.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let me correct myself - I have Charter Cable. I tried their guide but it doesn't differentiate digital from analog channels anywhere.

I did go to siliconedust.com and found that guide. That's what I originally was referring to. It does not list the channels I want (espn, discovery etc), even though I can get them when I plug the coax directly into my tv. Is this confirmation that those channels are actually analog?

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
That most likely means those channels are analog. I can't speak for your setup, but when I had cable a few months ago Discovery, ESPN, and many other channels were analog. On my TV, if the channel is analog, it will just show that number, like channel 3 for Discovery. If it is digital, it will say 3.1 or 4.1 or 102.1 or 102.2, etc. If yours is the same, that would make it easy to determine with your TV what channels are digital and what are analog.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ /forum/post/19575638

When I had cable I used the HDHomeRun for the digital stuff (including antenna) and a Hauppauge PVR-150 for analog (cheap!).

Does that work well in WMC? Is it seamless? I already have the HDHomerun and like it but if I also need another tuner I may just return it for the Hauppauge 2250. But if I can just add another tuner and it works well I may go that route.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Yes, it's seamless. All the channels show in the guide just fine. When you record with 7MC it will record in HD first if it's available, then SD if not if you have one channel with both HD and SD feeds.

I just looked on NewEgg and they have the HVR-1250, a hybrid tuner, for $49 with a remote. That'd give you one more digital tuner when the analog side of it isn't being used.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts