AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the Z5 and I am totally amazed and in love with it. My only annoyance so far is that it seems inable to display a 4:4 image, at least when fed through the HDMI input. Any "full-screen" discs I've tried to display only allow me the options of zooming or strecthhing, but will not lay the image out with black on the left and right side, as most displays would do. Is there a setting I'm not finding? I can't imagine that this option wouldn't exist. Help!

· Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speqtre /forum/post/0

Since this isn't Slashdot, I won't tell you to RTFM!

If you press the SCREEN button on the remote and put it to NORMAL, 4:3 should come through as 4:3. Pages 34-35 of the manual discuss these settings.

Hitting "screen" was the first thing I tried, but the "normal" option never cycles by, at least not when the4 source is coming though an HDMI connection. I read the manual (read: loaed the CD and read it off my screen - how cheap of Sanyo to not include a print version of their manual) and while it details all the possible screen format options, it never addresses situations in which several options will not be accessible.

I'm totally miffed by this as I watch a lot of silent films and Noirs, which are all 1:33:1. Has anyone with a Z5 been able to access the Normal screen mode when connected via HDMI?

· Registered
6,401 Posts
Page 35 of the manual says that you should be using the "Normal" setting. However, using the DVD player's upconverting HDMI connection for 4:3 movies may be the problem. Make sure that your DVD player is set for 4:3 aspect ratio output. The "Normal" may be blanked out because the HDMI signal is controling the aspect ratio - which then has to be set at the source.

NOTE: Your DVD player may be set up to send 16:9 (rather than "Auto", or equivalent, format) over the HDMI cable. You need to check how your DVD player is set up. You certainly don't want the DVD player to convert the 4:3 to 16:9 and then have the Z5 convert the 16:9 back to 4:3 format.

For playing old movies, or any 4:3 source, it probably would be better to use the component connections. These will allow full aspect control (at either end of the cable), and you aren't gaining anything by using the HDMI connection for old movies anyway.

· Registered
8 Posts
I also had some issues picking the screen size mode with my new Z5. It's my first projector and as far as RTFM, the explanations contained there aren't much help.

I use both HDMI ports, with a different DVD unit on each. I can access all Screen menu options with both imputs. Unlike you, with a 16:9 screen, all of the full screen DVDs I tried filled the screen completely using the Full option. I noticed little if any distortion with this mode. With a wide screen movie, it filled the screen side to side with the normal black bars top and bottom, but the picture was not quite right and seemed compressed. I finally figured out that using the Zoom selection and readjusting the picture size with the lens makes any movie aspect ratio I play look good without any distortion. Full Screen still fills the screen and Wide Screen movies have no distortion and sizes correctly right to left.

After reading the explanantion of Zoom mode in the manual, It was not my first choice of modes to use, but it works for me.

Sounds like CT is right and you should check the output of your DVD player.

· Registered
26 Posts
Excuse me for butting in here. I have the 1000u, and I am new to home theater, but I wanted to chime in with a possible solution.

I, too, am into a lot of earlier films, Noirs especially, and became frustrated trying to figure how to get a decent sized image for the 4:3 films. I have the Oppo 970 DVD player.

I found that if I change the setting on the Oppo to 480p when I run a full screen, I get a good pic that I can then zoom without distortion.

If anyone has a better solution, I am all ears. Fortunately, my projector is within easy reach, and I can make this adjustment easily.

· Registered
3 Posts
I know this will sound crazy, but try watching old movies using the S video input. It seems that when playing an interlaced dvd, the Oppo and many other players, try to add information to increse resolution, the result being grainy rather that smooth. The S video just shows the lack of detail withut the added grain. Note that just because a movie is an old black and white, does not mean it was recorded as interlaced. Some are very crisp progressive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.