AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what the best way is to bring the output of my Cox Cable HD cable box into my PC? I want the HD box to do all of the tuning, I simply want to be able to view this signal in a window on my PC desktop.

Put another way I would like the functionality and feel of an ATI AIW but I want my HD cable box to do the tuning.

If I do this will I be able to record programs from the HD box? I do realize that I will not be inputting an HD signal into the PC, I would come out of the HD box using S-video to the PC. This same HD box will be connected to my X1 projector via the VGA input in order to display HD programs.

I am NOT looking for a card that can tune digital cable.

I hope I have described this clearly,

Mike

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your replies. The HD box is the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3100HD.

The connections are component, no DVI or VGA. I will have to convert the component to VGA to use it with the X1.

Another question, once I figure this out can the box be controlled by the PC to allow taping of programs while I am not at home?

Thanks again,

Mike

·
Registered
603 Posts
Can't record from a 3100HD (in HD that is). Also, don't convert it to vga. Infocus makes an adapter specifically for the X1 that allows component inputs. It's really cheap too.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tom: Thanks for the reply. I was always under the impression that the Infocus adaptor was a component to VGA adaptor. Doesn't the X1 have to accept the signal via it's VGA input?

Also I know I will not be able to record HD material, not worried about that. I would like to be able to use my PC to do timer recordings of other non-HD programs though. So I am wondering what hardware/software combo I need to control the box and input it to my PC.

My goals are:

1-Watch any channel I have tuned on the HD box in a window on my PC or in full screen.

2-Record non-HD programs with or without timers.

3-Have this connection exist simultaneously with the one to the X1 so that I can watch all types of programming including HD on it.

Thanks again...

Mike

·
Registered
603 Posts
Yeah, it's one input (VGA). I was just worried you were going to shell out $200 for a transcoder when there's a $20 adapter that's meant for this situation.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that concern. About my other questions, what do you think?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Ok, you'll need the following:

(1) 2 port KVM switch (VGA adapter (infocus Part Number: SP-VESA-ADPT - $20).

The KVM's output connects to the X1, the 2 inputs are connected to by a VGA cable from the PC and a VGA cable + YPbPr->VGA adfapter from the SAE3100HD. This will allow you to switch b/w the PC and HD STB by either pressing a key or remotely if you get a IR wireless Keyboard and send the hotkeys to the KVM.

You should have no problems playing back recordings made on the PC with the ATI AIW's S-video input.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
midi-guy:

Are you saying that the KVM is like a manual VGA switch box but with the added convenience of being able to switch via a keyboard command? I will be using a wireless keyboard and mouse.

Also regarding this statement you made: "You should have no problems playing back recordings made on the PC with the ATI AIW's S-video input." I was not planning on getting an AIW card. I have one now and would like to roughly duplicate some of its functionality. Specifically I want to be able to view any channel from my digital cable box (except HD) in a window or full screen on my windows desktop. I would like to be able to record programs on demand and via timer. I know that PVR functionality will not be possible, besides I am not really interested in that anyway.

You see my favorite thing to do is to have cable tv running in small window while I go about my web surfing or whatever. Occasionally I enlarge the image to full screen.

I hope I have conveyed this clearly, I know what I want to do-I'm just not sure I am describing it well.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
well id do an htpc using it as its interface with the x1. with an hd card you can pipe that into the x1 via the vga.. this will allow the time shifting.,.. as far as conrtoling the box youll have to look at an ir that will talk to that box.. and use i think its girder.. anyway do a search over in the hd forum for computer control of that box..

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Isn't there an elegant solution for this? Surely I can't be the only person trying to view their digital/HD cable on their pc, can I?

·
Registered
582 Posts
search for a Immersive Holo3DGraph II, i think it will do what you want it to.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow that was expensive!

Couldn't I just get a good capture card, input the digital cable box via S-video input into the capture card and use software to do the rest?

Which software will control a digital cable box, allow windowed or full screen viewing, and provide record functions?

Thanks for all your help,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.