AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully this is in the correct forum, if not, perhaps someone could direct me there.

What I would like to be able to do, is to have the option of watching my TV programming on my computer monitor, and also be able to watch my computer on my projector. My guess is that I would need to run a cable from the DVI output on the dish network reciever, to my computer, and a cable from my computer, to the DVI input on the projector. I am assuming I would need a new video card for this (not sure what I have now).

What I have to work with:

Dish Network 811 reciever

Sanyo PLV-Z2 projector

Computer: Dual Pentium Pro 200 processors, Windows 2000, IIRC 512 Ram,

unknown video card.

I haven’t purchased the cable(s) yet. If I just go straight from the reciever to the projector, I will need a 40-50’ DVI-D cable. As they aren’t cheap, I want to make sure I have a final plan in mind before I order it.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this would be appreciated. I am still trying to learn this HDTV stuff. I have some computer knowledge, but havn’t done anything with home-theatre PCs. I also have a questions as to whether or not my computer is up to this, as I really have no plans to replace it. Its main funcion is MP3 storage and playing, which it works just fine for.

Thanks,

Pete

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
well you will not be able to do DVI capture, DVI is uncompressed video

and the capture cards that have DVI input cost thousands usually

then you would need a huge raid setup for the uncompressed video

and then you have the problem of encryption

probably best just so send DVI straight to the PJ if you want HD

you can buy 480i capture cards though that have svideo and composite input

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By capture do you mean record? I'm not really concerned about recording, I have the Dish DVR on my other (SD) reciever that I record on.

The main reason I want to be able to view the dish programming on the computer monitor is because I have my stereo hooked to the dish reciever, and I often just use it to listen to satalite radio. So picture quality isn't that important, as long as I can see whats going on. So what I want to do is pass the DVI signal through the computer. Unfortunatly, on the 811 the component outputs are not active if using the DVI output. So perhaps my best option would be to get a video card with an s-video input (or for that matter just a regular RCA video input), and not worry about trying to view my computer on the projector? I'm not looking to get too involved in this or spend a lot on it at this point; I could see myself moving up to a full blown HTPC at some point, but I've got way too many projects at the moment.

Pete

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
you can get any capture card/ tv tuner card then

most should have svideo and composite input

I am guessing you will be outputting to both the PJ and to the PC then?

I would suggest the pvr 150

it comes with a remote and ir blaster to control your Dish STB

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
If your not worried about PVR capability don't go for the 150 as the mpeg compression that it does for time shifting will degrade the quality. Save some money and just get the PROLINK PV-CX881P and use dScaler4 for the viewing app.

peace

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.