AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way for me to watch DVD movies at 1080p... without a HTPC ? My monitor is 1024x1024 native, and everything is separate in my system.

I've read about HTPCs, the theatris, scalers, new DVD players that will convert the signal and output 1080i, and lots of other possibilities. But can't find a clear source of information to address this question... for someone who wants it today, not yesterday or tomorrow, and who doesn't want a HTPC just yet (although perhaps that would be the best solution -- I don't know).

Is there something I can buy... for less than an arm or a leg... that will perform a quality conversion on the signal headed from my DVD player (or from any source?) to my monitor?

Is the iScan Ultra what I need???

Thanks ahead of time,

Nelson Tibbitt

---

Sony PFM42/B2 plasma monitor

Sony DA7ES A/V receiver

Sony DVP-CX875P dvd changer

Anthony Gallo 5.1 speakers

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
A few points:

- HD DVD doesn't exist yet, so the best you can do is an upconvert.

- The best bang for the buck approach is an HTPC, and some would say the best in all cases.

- Otherwise, it's a matter of opinion which scaler is a better value in the price range you're looking at. I always like the Faroudja products; expensive but good.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i can recommend the iScan Pro for 480p output and the Center Stage CS-2 for upconverting your DVD to the native resolution of your display.

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
Nelson,

If you have 1024x1024 then you must have an ALiS panel (Sony, Hitachi or most likely Fujitsu).

I'm sorry to tell you that the highest progressive resolution your monitor can produce is 512p.

You are better off using 1080i over 1080p for your ALiS plasma, that is probably the best resolution for that particular panel.

A line doubler will produce 480p for you, which is not ideal for your panel, but will likely improve the image over what you currently have. A full blown scaler that's capable of producing 1080i will give you the best results.

I've recently attended a demo and we've tested 1080i using a KDS-2000HD scaler (they're hard to get a hold of) the unit produced spectacular results from a Panasonic SDI DVD source.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by oferlaor
...I've recently attended a demo and we've tested 1080i using a KDS-2000HD scaler (they're hard to get a hold of) the unit produced spectacular results from a Panasonic SDI DVD source.
Huh? What's a KDS-2000HD? Are you holding out on us, Ofer ;)

·
Registered
164 Posts
And what is the best display I can get from a projector the maximum resolution is LCD, 960x540 that support 525p, 625i, Hdtv50, Hdtv60

Can I use 960 x 640p ( using CS-HD ) ?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
Alan,

It's one of their earlier scalers for broadcasting. I've had it on loan for a while and was later offered a good deal for it & purchased it. My friend (Ran from the projector forums) tried it out for a weekend and refused to return it (I was well reimbersed for this).

Officially, it's still mine, but he wants it for a year. He's getting spectacular results on it (going at 1080i) on a Sharp 10000 DLP projector.

Starwars AOTC was the most 3D I've ever seen it...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am a newbie so don't hurt me :( I have a Hughes e86 d*TV it supposedly unconverts my signal to 1080I still looks like crap. Will a scaler or HTPC help this?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a ton for the advice and for not blasting my blatant newbie-ness...

oferlaor is right, I have the Sony PFM42/B2. The best I am currently able to get is 480p from my DVD player, which looks great, but not taking full advantage of the monitor's resolution. Sounds like a scaler would be optimal, so trying to decide which one would be best for my monitor. The following have been recommended:

Faroudja NRS

Center Stage CS-2

According to the specs, sounds like they both can output 1024x1024 for my monitor. The Faroudja looks to be going for around $4k and the CS-2 for around $2k on ebay.

I still have some questions...

- Will the scaler be all I need for video processing, such that every source piped into my A/V receiver will be output through the scaler to my monitor, and display in high res? Or am I being naive to hope for that? For instance, my DVD player outputs 480p, but other sources like cable/satellite may not... will a scaler alone be able to handle these input changes gracefully? Or do I also need a line doubler as suggested by some? Being new to all this stuff, I still don't quite get the visual of how it all works.

- Obviously there is a quality aspect to purchasing this type of equipment, like anything else. The Faroudja has a great reputation. Should I just start saving now for a mortgage on a Faroudja, or will a less pricey scaler do the trick just as effectively?

Thanks again,

Nelson

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.