AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok just got the unit hooked up today with Infinity TSS750 speakers. While it sounds clean, the combo is noticeably lacking in midrange and warmth.

Should I consider a larger front main speakers than the little Infinity's? I did build small pockets in the walls for them, so I would like to have in-wall speakers, if I go bigger...

Any suggestions to warm this rig up?

Thanks...

(i'll also post this in receivers)

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Did you actually listen to the speakers before you bought them? If you did, and the midrange was fine to your ears.... then I would first try getting them out of any pockets or wall cavities which they weren't designed to be put in and see if they sound any different/better. If they do, then you have your answer.

If not, then there could potentially be a problem with one (or more) of the drivers. They could be wired out of phase or just plain broken and not producing any sound. You would then have a warranty claim from where you purchased them I would think.

If you didn't audition them first and bought them just because someone else said they were the latest and greatest, you are out of luck I'm afraid.

Also.... if you are looking for something in-wall.... why didn't you go with in-walls to start with? Speakers in a cabinet are not designed for being placed into a wall cavity. It messes with the sound big time.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Those speakers were not designed to go in walls. Pull them out and and see how they sound.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The speakers are on little pockets but the face is even with the wall. I dont think the speakers make any sound from the aluminum housing in the back so being where they are probably has little to do with the lack of midrange.

The reviews I rtead vefore buying told me that this receiver and separately, these speakers sound well. But I noted a mention of a lack of midrange, which can be compensated somewhat

by moving the crossover point up. These speakers are 120hz and up, the in-walls go down to 47hz IIRC

I'd really like to hear specifics from someone who knows these speakers, Will the Infinity In-walls (see link) have more midrange with my setup?

http://www.infinitysystems.com/home...?prod=ERS210IIS

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ****** /forum/post/0

I'd really like to hear specifics from someone who knows these speakers, Will the Infinity In-walls (see link) have more midrange with my setup?

http://www.infinitysystems.com/home...?prod=ERS210IIS

Ummm... well I DO know these speakers. And, I KNOW that they aren't designed to be put into a wall cavity. I also KNOW that by doing so.... you will screw up the sound big time. Whether that's in the mid range or smearing of the upper octaves or whatever.... will depend on your exact application.

That's why I suggested pulling them out of the cavity and listening again. If they STILL sound harsh or "not warm"..... and they sounded fine when you auditioned them.... then there is possibly something wrong with the speaker.

If you DIDN'T listen to them first.... and simply bought them from someones recommendation who "KNOWS about these speakers," and now you simply don't care for how they sound.... let that be a lesson learned.

My advice to you.... is don't ask the question if you're not prepared to get an answer you don't want to hear.

·
Registered
108 Posts
return the speakers if you can and try others? Sell them on e-bay? Ascend acoustics pair well with the panny- I have the 170SE's. AV123 has some great rocket bookshelves that will be warmer depending on your budget. Maybe enjoy what you have while you save. (I will be laughed at for saying this but you can get used 901's BOSE on e-bay, very warm and very full for around 5 houndred, slightly used.) Best-

Anka

·
Registered
108 Posts
Another solution if you cant return your mains is to pair them with a sub. The av123 xsub for 200, or HSU for 250 are great values and will warm up your room- also see the x series speakers at av for some affordable options-

Anka

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Anka!

BTW, I'm looking for specific recommendations, not to be scolded on my buying habits by someone who doesnt have all the facts of my purchase or why they are installed how they are. I also do not believe that being mounted flush with the wall in little bookshelf pockets hurts the sound. Because they in fact sound not "smeared" but they do sound clear and bright. I just want more mid.

Does anyone think the Infinity in-walls mentioned above would richen the midrange? To my way of thinking, a muchg larger 6" driver would do just that... thoughts?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anka I just saw this idea of pairing a sub with the front mains. But the Infinity's already come with a substantial sub, are saying to add a second one?

I think the in-walls may be the way to go but I'd sure like to hear some thoughts on those first...

that way, also and even though the room is small, I could concievably use my little mains for the two rear surround channels. Right now Im at 5.1, but the reciever will do 7.1

only problem would be placement... the couch is against the back wall now, and the surrounds are to the left and right sides on the walls. I'd have to install the 2 extra speakers on the walls about 2/3 the way back and use the existing surrounds as the back surrounds. im not sure the sound field would improve much, but maybe it would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anka /forum/post/0

Another solution if you cant return your mains is to pair them with a sub. The av123 xsub for 200, or HSU for 250 are great values and will warm up your room- also see the x series speakers at av for some affordable options-

Anka

·
Registered
569 Posts
i've no experience with these specific speakers, so forgive me if i'm being presumptuous.

however, you're relying on a sealed speaker with a tiny 3.5 inch metal woofer. unfortunately, chances are a driver like this will sound thin and bright, no matter what you do.

the Ascends that were recommended are a very good, sealed speaker, so you could put them in a wall-pocket if you have to. however, they're significantly larger than the speakers you have now, so you'd have to make space for them.

those infinity in-walls you linked to might help with the mids simply by benefit of being larger, however i've no idea how good they are... you may be sacrificing something else by using them.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im really thinking about the infinity in-walls, but I dont want too much sound radiating outward (its an exterior wall), and also did many searches but cant really find out if in-wall's sound as good (generally) as free standing speakers.

also, i would consider putting a normal speaker set into the wall 4" (thickness of wall) but it couldnt stick out more than 2" from the wall due to other clearance issues.

i cant find anything with a depth of 5 or 6 inches and a 6" driver, so if anyone knows af an especially skinny speaker that sounds good, let me know.

it may be the infinity in-wall's after all...

·
Registered
979 Posts

Quote:

Im really thinking about the infinity in-walls, but I dont want too much sound radiating outward (its an exterior wall), and also did many searches but cant really find out if in-wall's sound as good (generally) as free standing speakers.

also, i would consider putting a normal speaker set into the wall 4" (thickness of wall) but it couldnt stick out more than 2" from the wall due to other clearance issues.

i cant find anything with a depth of 5 or 6 inches and a 6" driver, so if anyone knows af an especially skinny speaker that sounds good, let me know.

it may be the infinity in-wall's after all...

No in walls generally sound worse than their couterparts. They have no real enclosure. A speaker can only push so much air. That is sacrificed when you use in wall designs.

·
Registered
569 Posts

Quote:

I wonder how much worse?

probably difficult to quantify... but because of the laws of physics, there are unavoidable compromises with in-wall speakers.

the sound could be affected by resonances from the wall, the studs, the insulation or anything hung on the wall. in addition, because sound waves don't simply radiate forward, but like a ripple of water, the flush mounting of the speaker will affect the way the sound waves travel, killing the soundstage and imaging.

having said that, in-walls have supposedly gotten significantly better lately. i recall the Polk LCi series got good reviews... basically the in-wall version of their impressive and much-loved LSi series. they're going to be more expensive than those Infinities, but it may be worth shopping around.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok here's the long overdue update. my friend built me some boxes for the in-walls so i could try them out for sound before cutting my pine wall boards.

he used MDF, and made them 4" deep to approximate a wall cavity.

they sound WAY WAY better for music than the little mini Infinity surround speakers.. rich and clear.

unfortunately, as pretty as he made those boxes to look, i have now 2 nagging doubts about what to do next:

1) would they sound as good in the wall?

2) if not, then would real enclosed speakers sound so much better than these that i should go that way?

3) should i take these enclosures and mount them in the wall (they would stick out less than an inch)? maybe with 1/4" soft foam to isolate them?

http://www.infinitysystems.com/home/...USA&Country=US

·
Registered
3,782 Posts

Quote:
No in walls generally sound worse than their couterparts. They have no real enclosure. A speaker can only push so much air. That is sacrificed when you use in wall designs.

Ok..... a speaker that's pretty bad (unsubstantial midrange), a receiver that some think sounds bright , and a in-wall type installation with speakers not designed for that purpose, what's not to like?

There are inwalls that can be purchased that have back boxes that are designed specific to the speakers and some examples of these can sound good. There are some without back boxes, but are designed TO WORK WITHOUT THEM. Both however, if designed well take into account the fundamental difficulties inherent in the application AND MAKE COMPENSATIONS SPECIFIC TO THE APPLICATION....

IF you want an in-wall , buy in-wall speakers.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
look wise guy...

now i know it may be mind-bending for you to read a thread where someone installed small satellites in pockets in the wall, then tried in-walls in enclosures. the little speakers sound great for MOVIES perched in the little wall pockets. but not great for music. trying the new in-walls in little boxes to APPROXIMATE a wall cavity has shown a huge improvement in sound.

im thinking the in-walls sound so much better that i may in fact put them in the wall. i just hope those little boxes we made arent boosting the sound quality and that would be lost in a less defined unseald and non-mdf wall cavity.

the other choice is to find regular enclosed speakers. but the right one would be in the way almost anywhere I locate it.

also, i wouldnt know what kind of speaker would sound good for nmy mains in my price range of 300-500 dollars....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.