AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a question. I have a Sony Bravia 52 inch W series, a Panasonic SC-HT700 home theater system set up and a Rogers (Canadian) 4250HD box set up too.

Currently I've hooked up my hd box to my tv via hdmi and the panasonic sch-ht700 is a dvd player, soundsystem/receiver as well. I'll find a way to attach the back of both the hd box and the receiver/dvd player.

I have a component cable (the 3 ones with the green,red, blue) and a fibre optic cable that i bought (see attached)

I want to know if its possible to watch regular tv on my home theater

Thanks

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Unless you buy a coaxial digital to optical digital converter (~$25) looks like you will be limited to using the L/R outputs from the cable box to the receiver/DVD unit.

The receiver/DVD unit should connect to the TV with the component cables.

You will have to select different inputs on the TV to watch the cable box or to watch the DVD, and you will have to select different inputs on the receiver/DVD to listen to DVD or cable box through the audio system.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
From the cable box you will be limited to what ever matrix surround mode the receiver/DVD player will apply to a 2-ch analog signal.

In order to use the cable box coaxial digital output for Dolby Digital, you'll need a converter such as this , and then a coaxial cable to connect the cable box to the converter. You already have an optical cable to connect the converter to the receiver/DVD player. As for the coaxial cable, a video cable with RCA ends will work fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again for the prompt reply. Now lets say that I want to go with the 2 channel option what do I do? Do I still need to get that converter? I don't mind not getting digital sound/5.1 channel sound

Thanks

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Connect the "Audio Out" L and R on the cable box to the "TV Audio In" L and R on the back of the receiver/DVD unit. You will not need the converter to do that.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
On second thought, since you don't mind getting just 2-ch sound for TV, if there is an optical output on the TV you should try connecting that to the optical input on the receiver/DVD unit with your fiber optic cable.

Note: Optical cables usually have small plastic covers over the tips of the connector. Be sure to remove those before trying to plug them in.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
I don't know how to operate the gear you have...you'll have to consult the operations manuals for that.

I'm thinking you should forego, at least for now, the L/R connection from the cable box to the receiver. Instead, connect the optical output from the TV to the optical input of the receiver. This connection should pass 2-ch audio from the cable box via HDMI to the TV and then from the TV to the receiver via the optical cable. Might as well use that cable since you bought it.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirian /forum/post/15427654

My bad, the dvd soundsystem/receiver is a SA - HT700. The tv has optical not the the system

It would be odd for an HTIB not to have some type of digital input, might be coax, but usually optical.

It would be best to see if your cable box has an optical or coax digital output, and connect that to the SA-HT700.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Wow...

component from Panasonic unit to TV for video

2 analog RCA cables from HD box (Audio out) to Pana unit (Audio in)

leave HDMI alone.....done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh70 /forum/post/15429122

Wow...

component from Panasonic unit to TV for video

2 analog RCA cables from HD box (Audio out) to Pana unit (Audio in)

leave HDMI alone.....done.

Okay I will do that. And when you mean leave hdmi alone, do you mean take it out? I thought HDMI is better than component (the red green blue) cable for picture quality?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
No....leave it how you've hooked it up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.