AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay,

You get the gist of the questions. If I have 3 monopole speakers, how do I wire them for tripole?

The key to the question is ohm-load. You see, I can't find 16-ohm surround speakers anywhere, so that leaves 8-ohm speakers. Wiring three 8-ohm speakers in parallel would introduce a 2-ohm load. Can't do that.

So, the quesion now becomes, can I wire three monopole speakers using a series or parallel or series-paralell to achieve an ohm load that won't cook my speakers?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm bumping this question back up. The reason for this is because M&K's tripole is rather small and very expensive. I want to buy 3 monopole speakers and wire them up and ideally have an 8-ohm load (or a 6-ohm load at the lowest).

Thanks

·
Registered
885 Posts
Two in parallel and one in series = 12 ohms.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Yes that's if all three are 8 ohms. Also I know you wanted to stay above 6 ohms but FYI 2 in series and 1 paralleled to the two in series is 5.333 ohms. The way Ben Tech stated above was for 2 to be in parallel and 1 in series with that and he is right that is 12 ohms.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay,

How about this? Can anyone find a 3-speaker wiring configuration chart online and link me to it? I'm having a hard time finding info on 3-speaker wiring ohm load outcomes.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
As far as phase goes how are you wiring the speakers? Im assuming you are going to have 1 of the 3 monopoles facing straight, 1 facing diagonally front, and 1 facing diagonally back. So are you going to keep them all in phase to eachother? In phase with the fronts?

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
keep in mind that in parallel they all get the same signal but in series the signal goes through the crossover and all the drivers in that speaker then out to the next speaker.. it wont get the original signal....

It's not the same as wiring single drivers with no crossovers as in wiring multiple subs.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 /forum/post/18183139

keep in mind that in parallel they all get the same signal but in series the signal goes through the crossover and all the drivers in that speaker then out to the next speaker.. it wont get the original signal....

It's not the same as wiring single drivers with no crossovers as in wiring multiple subs.

Whoa. That's sucky. I didn't realize that.
Okay. Let's say I have two single drivers pointing left/right and I want those out of phase. And a woofer/tweeter speaker i want shooting towards the listening position. How can I wire these to get the ohm load I want?

This whole rear channel obsession is going to kill me I think. You'll find my body under my surround speakers mounted on the wall dead from electricution while trying to get the perfect sound.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy91 /forum/post/18183176

Whoa. That's sucky. I didn't realize that.
Okay. Let's say I have two single drivers pointing left/right and I want those out of phase. And a woofer/tweeter speaker i want shooting towards the listening position. How can I wire these to get the ohm load I want?

This whole rear channel obsession is going to kill me I think. You'll find my body under my surround speakers mounted on the wall dead from electricution while trying to get the perfect sound.

You won't be able to do this unless you build it yourself... the only way to do this using individual speakers is to run them in parallel which will give you a lower imedance rating. Unless you're willing to actually build your own surrounds I wouldn't bother.

You'll also need a very very strong amp to push these to get to a loud listening level. You'd probably be much happier in the long run just buying something like the Emotiva ERD-1 (dipole/bipole).

Now you could easily take two 8ohm speakers and wire the two in parallel but out of phase or even open one up and rewire just one of the tweets to make it only out of pahse and get an 4ohm load and you'd probably be fine.... but it doesn't mean you'll like the results.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy91 /forum/post/18183176

This whole rear channel obsession is going to kill me I think. You'll find my body under my surround speakers mounted on the wall dead from electrocution while trying to get the perfect sound.
Don't forget to rerun setup to account for the change in your primary listening position.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
What if you build the rear like the normal side surrounds but port them so you hear the back of the driver?

Wouldnt the back be out of phase of front? so put the port where you hear the back?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
If you parallel 2 - 4 ohm speakers thats 2 ohms of resistance not 8. If you series 2 - 4 ohm speakers thats 8 ohms of resistance. Be careful with this as you don't want to harm your receiver or speakers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.