AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am new to building subs and am looking at quad 8"s which should be good the ones i am looking at are 8 ohms but the amp is 4 ohms is there any way to wire 4x 8 ohms into 4 ohms the subs i will most likely be using are jaycars and i've read around and jaycar audio stuff is ment to be very good. link to sub: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...=&SUBCATID=396

·
Registered
497 Posts
you have 2 choices...

Option 1 (parallel) = 2 ohm load

Speakers wired in parallel

Recommended Amplifier: Stable at 2 or 1 ohm mono

Option 2 (series/parallel) = 8 ohm load

Two pair of speakers, each pair wired in series, then wired in parallel

Recommended Amplifier: Stable at 4, 2, or 1 ohm mono

However.... If you split the amp to run 2 on each side, then you can go the other way.

Option 1 (parallel) = 4 ohm load

Speakers wired in parallel

Recommended Amplifier: Stable at 4, 2, or 1 ohm mono

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

also wat size box do you recomend my current design is 3.5ft ^3 and should be tuned to about 32-34hz

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
First, I don't think there is such a thing as a 4-ohm amp. The power may be rated at 4-ohms as in

200 watts per channel to 4 ohms, 20-20khz, 0.01% THD, both channels driven

But that simply means the power was rated at 4-ohms, it doesn't make it a 4-ohm amp and it doesn't make 4-ohms Mandatory. Just go with 8 ohms.

If you really want 4-ohms, though personally, I can't imagine why, get Four 4-ohms speakers instead of Four 8 ohms speakers, they are not hard to find.

But to answer your question, which really has already been answered, NO, you can't make four 8-ohms speakers add up to 4 ohms unless you are willing to accept losses.

For what it's worth.

Steve/bluewizard

1 - 5 of 5 Posts