AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe I asked this question previously, but got confused on some of the answers by not understanding what they were saying. I recently purchased some blow-out Buttkickers (2 pairs), and need information on hooking them up. I have a Denon 1803 receiver, and Klipsh Quintet speakers which I believe are 4-8ohm, and a Klipsh sub. I've read that you can "hook them up to your stereo like regular speakers", but the confusing thing to me is that it is also my understanding that you can somehow put them "in line" with other speakers, but I don't understand how. Here are my issues:

- I have a 5 channel amp. Does it matter which channels I use? Should it be the main front channels?

- If its possible to put them "in line", how do you wire that? I've read a thing that showed what looked like daisy chaining, where they would take the positive terminal from one and link it to the negative out of the next in line, and so on.

- Can I put two of these in line with as single speaker, like say a front channel?

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I don't know if your 1803 (I've got one myself) will work that way...

Here's what I'd do: Get a plate amp, and a y-splitter, and split the signal coming out of your LFE plug (what you've got your sub plugged into), and run it into the plate amp, and use that to power the buttkickers. They want some power, right? You can buy a 250 watter for about $130 or so.

I suspect that if you try to run a VERY power hungry load off the 1803 at 4 ohms, you'd definitely either send it into shutdown mode, or allow the magic smoke to escape. Yeah, the plate amp would cost, but it'd also cost to buy the low-pass inline crossovers that you'd need running it off the receiver.

Another option would be to find an inexpensive full-range amp that'll deliver the power via Salvation Army or Goodwill.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was trying to avoid purchasing another amp, but I see what you're saying. I was very worried about that also. I assume that since you recommend a Y-splitter, that one side goes to the plate amp, and the other side goes to my sub, correct? Also, since its coming out of the LFE, there wouldn't be a need for any kind of cross-over circuitry then, would there?

Also, if I do run them off of a plate amp, can I still wire them in parallel, like this? ->

ButtkickerA ButtkickerB ButtkickerC

LFE out - >-->plate amp->-->(+) (+) (-) (+) (-) (+) (-)

(- ) |

^ |

|_____________________________|

Ya, its a crappy diagram, but I'm doing the best I can!

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you keep 'em above a 4 ohm load, you should be okay. What are the things? How much power do they want? I've got 4 25 watt bass shakers in my sofa, running off an old Marantz 2230.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These are exactly what you have! 25W nominal, or something like that. Sound like it would work then? How do you have yours wired, in parallel, like positive to negative, positive to negative, etc.?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I wired them in two series of 8 ohms each. If I run 'em off a plate amp, I could plug the red wires in the red side, and the black wires on the black side for a four ohm load. I'm running 'em as two "speakers" the way I've got 'em set up tho.

If these are bass shakers they should have a little diagram on the instruction sheet...

·
Registered
202 Posts
According to the Buttkicker website www.thebuttkicker.com you really should have a dedicated amp for them. There is a 3 pound piston inside that needs a lot of power. 400 watts is the minimum rating and 1000 watts is ideal. Get the picture? These are different than the Aura basshakers that use speaker type technology and less wattage. If you spent the money to get the Buttkickers, do it right and spend a little more for the dedicated amp.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Quote:
According to the Buttkicker website www.thebuttkicker.com you really should have a dedicated amp for them. There is a 3 pound piston inside that needs a lot of power. 400 watts is the minimum rating and 1000 watts is ideal. Get the picture? These are different than the Aura basshakers that use speaker type technology and less wattage. If you spent the money to get the Buttkickers, do it right and spend a little more for the dedicated amp.
The original poster SnowDog12 made a mistake in the thread title and actually owns the 25w Aura shakers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.