AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've just moved into a new house and I've been given free reign from the wife to turn the basement into a HT.

I'd like to hang my InFocus 4800 (or maybe soon to be 4805) projector but not sure exactly what I need to do.

I'm not the handiest of guys so I'm thinking about taking up an electricians offer to do this for $75.

Will I need to have him run an electrical outlet to the ceiling where the projector is going to be mounted? Also, what type of cables should I run from the projector to the the equipment? I'm assuming Component and Computer (VGA). Anything else? I also assuem that the run this cable through the ceiling and down to the wall where there would be an outlet near the equipment that I could simply plug into. Am I correct?

Any help on what I can tell him would be appreciated!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Especially since you are starting from the ground up, would suggest installing a dedicated circuit at the control panel, hopefully nearby, for the PJ and include a Smart UPS for battery backup/surge protection. Run a heavy duty extension cord to the PJ.

You are using an HTPC and component for TV? Sounds good. The forum sponsors have excellent cables you can fish/install above the ceiling.

Touchdown, if you can get this labor done for $75-100 you will also be batting a home run!

Good luck.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The basement is already a finished basement so I'm sure that presents some challenges.

You suggest running an extension cord to power the projector? I'm not sure where I would do that. Run it from the power on one of the walls into the walls and up to the projector?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Ohboy, finished basement ceiling.

If you have no access above ceiling to fish cable, such as floor joists running the opposite direction, insulation, no access whatsoever from either end of you cable run (can you cut opening in ceiling where the PJ ceiling mount will go and cover it with a medallion?), you could run cables up wall(s) , along corners. You can purchase products to cover the cables to make better appearance, paint to match color. I CONSIDER THIS A LAST RESORT.

My basement was finished before the HT and had similar challenges during placement of the ceiling mount PJ. Check the floor joists first. If your equipment can be in the closet, is worth it to just cut a hole in ceiling and run fish tape (if possible). If above ceiling can cables be run straight across or will you have to make a turn? Is your equipment (DVD/receiver, etc.) in close proximity to the electrical control panel?

Note: a GOOD electrician can also help here with ideas on wiring options.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok..I did a little looking in the basement last night and it does look like I have acces to get above the ceiling from the utility room. I'm thinking I'll put my equipment rack in that room a few feet from the furnance. Any big problems with that?

If I just run a big extension cable above the ceiling does that pose any fire risks or anything I should be concerned about?

Thanks

·
Registered
597 Posts
Would make sure of adequate ventilation around the furnace during the winter season. Other than that I don't see any potential problems.

Am using a 50' heavy duty outdoor extension cord inside the ceiling to power the PJ.The other end is connected to the UPS which is plugged in a dedicated receptacle next to control panel. (just worked out that control panel in convenient location)

You will enjoy the "no wires look". Where there is a will there is (usually) a way. I had almost given up on mine, but a few more nights sleeping on it and WAMMO.

Although this extension cord is not up to electrical code, I do not see a problem and sure made it easy to use a UPS.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I also installed my ceiling mount projector into a finished basement. Luckily I was able to fish the cabling thorugh the vent boxing that ran across the center of my room. I was able to pretty easily fish the cable into the drywall and under the vent across the ceiling into my furnace room where I then fed it into the wall where my equipment rack is.

There are some pictures in the link in my signature. You will also see my DIY projector mount (design credit to Monkeyman) which works wonderfully.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I worked around the cable issue by installing a draped cloth ceiling. I have cables running all across the ceiling, and they're still easy to access, but completely hidden from view. It also gave me the opportunity to do some fun stuff with the lighting :)

There's an old picture here - I've since installed furniture for the components and replaced the carpet, but there's a reasonable view of the ceiling.
http://www.voicenet.com/~jhorn/images/ht_front.jpg

The $75 offer from your electrician is cheaper than the ~$200 in cloth, velcro, poles, and hooks, though :)

--

Jennifer

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
As long as you know that running an extension cord in the ceiling is against code and still want to do it, that's fine. It would code-correct to run romex and install a box flush with the ceiling near the projector. My current install is still against code but a compromise. My box is intalled in the attic directly above my PJ and the power cord goes up through a hole in the drywall. Yes, I'm taking a HUGE risk (sarcasm).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.