AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to have my plasma calibrated. For the most part the picture is already to my liking which means a relatively high contrast settings. But I know a good calibrator could bring out more detail and eliminate some of the black crush I see.

In our phone discussion, he seemed very inflexible about calibrating it to anything else but the 6500 standard regardless about what I wanted. He angrily described other experiences with customers where he was paid for his work and they wanted to change settings. Frankly, I'm shocked. Why can't the end product be a combination of the customer's desire and the calibrator's expertise?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

The goal is to make things as accurate as possible. Everything else is ... wrong. If you don't want 2+2=4 .... then feel free to make it 9 ... 12 ... 20 ... what ever you like ... it's still wrong.

Do you want to pay a calibrator and then complain that he got it wrong? Because the flavor of the week changed a couple of weeks later ...

Professional calibration is not about what you want ... it's about making it look the way it's supposed to look. And you can still have it accurate and have a high contrast setting so why not give it a try?

Regards

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV /forum/post/0

Professional calibration is not about what you want ... it's about making it look the way it's supposed to look. And you can still have it accurate and have a high contrast setting so why not give it a try?

Regards

That's encouraging. Here is where I'm coming from: I think I have a decent picture but know there can be some improvements. I demo'd a VP50 yesterday and immediately noticed that my TV has some black crush and missing some detail. The VP50 showed me that improvements are possible. While I have never seen a calibrated plasma, I have tried some of the settings detailed in various threads. To me, those settings seem very dark and soft on my set and I won't be able to get used to such a dark picture. I'm having a calibrator come out next week to my view my set. What I would really like to say to the calibrator is do your magic. Make the whites really white and bring back the shadow detail but give me the contrast and detail I like. But based on his attitude on the phone I'm not sure he is willing to work with me. We'll see and maybe this is much easier than I think.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

If black detail is important to you ... why would white detail not be? Too high a contrast setting and you lose white detail ... or you discolor the bright end.

Depending on the plasma set ... say a panasonic ... the optimal contrast range can still give most more light output than their own eyes can handle ... eye fatigue ...

The rules for setting contrast on digital displays is very different than on the older CRT displays.

Regards

·
Registered
732 Posts
Your calibrator should be willing to work with you (within reason, of course) as he/she does their ministrations. Mine insisted that I sit and watch every adjustment he made and encouraged me to ask questions all thru the process. He figured the more I learned about this, the better.

Heck, you are going to be swapping air molecules with this person for at least 2.5 to 3 hours, so you might as well get along

And if you really aren't pleased with the end result - and I'd be surprised if that was the case - then you can always tweak the set to your own liking afterwards. His/her main goal is to get your set's pq as close as possible to what the film producers want you to see when you watch their movies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.