AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got some extra mlv and pink fluffy stuff and wanted to wrap one of my pipes. Can I insulate with some pink stuff around the pipe and then mlv around the whole thing and then hold it on with duct tape? Or should I just duct tape the mlv directly to the vent/pipe?

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,965 Posts
We are talking about the outside of the pipe aren't we?, what moisture and air flow issues?, keeping air away from pipes reduces condensation on cold pipes. You want to over engineer this? buy some split rubber pipe wrap, put that on, surround with fiberglass, wrap with your MLV, then fill the rest of the joist/stud bay with insulation.

·
Registered
TCL Series 6 65", Denon X4500H, Fronts: KEF Q650c, Surrounds: KEF Ci160.2CL, Atmos: KEF Ci160.2CR
249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1520361/how-to-wrap-hvac-pipes-with-with-mass-load-vinyl#post_24425980

I duct taped some carpet remnants around a noisy drain pipe. If I had your materials on hand I'd put the fiberglass first than the MLV, just because my sixth sense says so.

Big -- This is an interesting alternative idea. There is nowhere for me to buy MLV without having to pay $$$$ to ship that heavy stuff. I do, however, have a lot of carpet remnant that I would love to use ( free !!) if possible somewhere.

Did you put any insulation between carpet and the pipe? How tightly did you wrap it? Why did you uses duct tape instead of some other method of securing like tying or using zip ties ( I would be worried duct tape would over time wear down and become gooey gross and undone) ?

What other solutions have you come up for carpet remnants?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts