AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got a pair of b&w cm5's on Monday. Tuesday night I left to go camping a riding atv's. Camped Wednesday and came back on Thursday, to find that my kid decided to put her little 2 year old fingure on my twetters. Both twetters have been pushed in and you can tell a big difference in the sound now. Any tips on getting them back out or should I just let a audio store that sells b&w repair them. Oh they are aluminum domes.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Contact B&W. You might be able to just replace the domes.

How did she manage to push in aluminum domes?

Actually, have you tried sticking tape to them and see if they pop back out?

I've also heard of people having luck using a vacumm to suck them back out.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvag /forum/post/16955113

So I just got a pair of b&w cm5's on Monday. Tuesday night I left to go camping a riding atv's. Camped Wednesday and came back on Thursday, to find that my kid decided to put her little 2 year old fingure on my twetters. Both twetters have been pushed in and you can tell a big difference in the sound now. Any tips on getting them back out or should I just let a audio store that sells b&w repair them. Oh they are aluminum domes.

Relaying what similar thread had said, You can hook up a vacuum to the tweeters and that can sometimes pull them out and allow you to get most if not all of your sound back.

You could just as easily call B&W and buy the tweeter cones from them and replace them yourself. In most cases it is very to replace the tweeter domes on the speaker. This may void warranty though. If you don't want to risk it, bring them to a repair shop, the should be able to repair them while you wait even, if they have the tweeter cones available.

(tweeter domes, cones, whatever, you know what I mean and I am tired)

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Try the tape fix first before the vacuum. A vacuum hose can pull fairly hard depending on your vacuum and you could easily damage them beyond repair if they are pulled out too far. With the tape, all you need to worry about after the fact is getting the residue off of the dome. Which should be quite easy using denatured alcohol.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadriverfalls /forum/post/16955447

. With the tape, all you need to worry about after the fact is getting the residue off of the dome. Which should be quite easy using denatured alcohol.

Or cheap vodka.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyaspie /forum/post/16955196

Contact B&W. You might be able to just replace the domes.

How did she manage to push in aluminum domes?

Actually, have you tried sticking tape to them and see if they pop back out?

I've also heard of people having luck using a vacumm to suck them back out.

Small fingers and thin alumium, I haven't tried anything yet called down to my local b&w dealer and ordered the parts.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvag /forum/post/16955804

Small fingers and thin alumium, I haven't tried anything yet called down to my local b&w dealer and ordered the parts.

What'd they hit you for those.......if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyaspie /forum/post/16956044

What'd they hit you for those.......if you don't mind me asking?

For both diaphrams aka dust caps. it was $92 plus labor. If I wanted to replace the entire twetters it would be $280 plus labor for both.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts