AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, I recently upgraded a RCA UTV to a 80GB and after unlocking and formatting in a pc, it shows a few bad sectors on it. Curious if it is OK to put this in another UTV and if the UTV will deal with the bad sectors (WILL IT MAP ARROUND THEM)? My gut tells me I should I just deep six the drive and go with another. I tried to RMA it back to WD but they said it was an OEM drive and I needed to contact the OEM (DTV) to get fixed... This unit isn't under warantee anymore... Think I will just throw a 80 or even better a 120GB drive.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hi,

Make sure your drive is really bad. If your PC doesn't recognize the drive correctly... it might cause the bad sectors. These "bad" sectors might go away if they are caused by a configuration issue. (Kind of like formatting a 720k floppy as a 1.44m floppy)

Later,

David T.

·
Registered
219 Posts
i am now using a 60gig hd that developed a few bad sectors shortly after it had been in use for about a year. i was sent a replacement from acer, but was never asked to return the old drive. that was over 3 yrs ago. i have since used this drive in 2 other puters. it has never had another bad sector. i defrag and scan disk religiously. this drive is as stable as ever. don't know if this is unusual, but this experiance has made me think twice b4 just throwing one out. you could use the old wait and see method, or it might be as network said.......failure, sooner than later.

·
Registered
719 Posts
No drive today is totally error free. So, they all come with remapping logic. They all have extra sectors for just such a need. The only drive failures I've ever had were physical screamers, like head crashes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.