AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running my JVC30000 thru the component out to a breakout cable into the NRS HD pass-thru to my G90u.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the NRS's transcoding ability.

LJG

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
LJG:

I can tell you that it does work, although I only tried it once. I don’t use it for flexibility reasons, unrelated to the NRS. You have to set it up in the NRS system settings menu and tell it whether you want pass through or transcoding. If you select transcoding, you also have to specify the type (480p, 720p, or 1080i).

To enable pass through or transcoding, you have to select it from the front panel. The remote control won’t select it.

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
My DISH 6000 HD receiver has a RGB output, so the signal is passed as RGB 1080i directly to my display.

I have heard that there is a very slight softening of the picture when the NRS transcodes RGB to component.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
One point of clarification. The NRS actually transcodes component to RGB (YPrPb to RGBHV). It cannot transcode RGBHV to YPrPb.

·
Premium Member
5,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, my actual question is how well does the NRS transcode the signal, and if I should be thinking about a different way(better way).

LJG

·
Registered
168 Posts
There seems to be some general consensus that the Extron transcoder is the top notch way to go from component to RGBHV, but it's also rather expensive, like $800ish. There are some cheaper ways too, like the Key Digital CTCA2, but I suspect that the NRS is gonna do a better job than any of the lower-price transcoders.

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
OOPS - right you are, Jim.

OK repeat after me:
Component to RGB

Component to RGB

Component to RGB

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
The Key Digital one is actually well reputed. In a 3 unit roundup, it won against the Audio Authority and one I'm forgetting on both price (it was the cheapest) and functionality (it was indistinguishable from source RGB.)

It also has a nifty picture centering adjustment which is the only reason I have it to begin with.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I believe the other one was the Extron, I bought the Key Digital KD-CTCA2 based on that same test. It works very well.

Howard

·
Registered
168 Posts
You know, I had a CTCA2 for a brief period right after they came out- I connected it to my Xbox, and the color translation was positively dreadful, compared to running the component output through my old VP400's transcoder. I'm not talking subtle, it was Way Out Of Whack... and I did check several times to make sure I had the cables on the proper color terminals. I eventually sent it back. Since other people seem to have a good experience with it, I'm willing to believe I just had a bad unit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.