AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently put together my first home theater setup in the basement. I am using my two old JBL L5's as front speakers together with new Polk CSI A6 center, FXI A6 surrounds and DSWpro550wi sub. I am using Onkyo NR809 receiver. I have been happy with my JB L5s over the years especially when I crank up the music volume and the new home theater sounds good using them for fronts.

However, I am wondering how well matched the L5's are to the Polks and what the difference would be if I had better matched speakers and switched the L5's out for Polk RTI A9s.

Is the difference likely to be significant or subtle? At the price for the RTI A9s there would have to be a significant improvement for me to consider the additional expense. I know that the L5s are old speakers (purchased mine in 1994) so this question probably is tough to answer based on specific experience with them but I would be interested in any guidance.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
The JBL L5 is an exceptional speaker. It's held its own over the years, and I would rate it as superior to anything else you've got. Despite its age, it has durable drivers, a clean crossover, and a solid cabinet, not to mention time alignment on the upper baffle.

In this case, I think you need to go back to go forward. I would look for good condition, used L Series speakers, such as the L3 or L1 to get the correct timbre match among your mains and surrounds.

Or you could dump the L5s to get all Polks, and send the L5s to me.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
1994 isn't old.

I use a pair of Dahlquist DQ10(currently being "Regnar'd"), recently sold some DCM TF600/350(from the 80's) and my wife's office speakers are B&W 801.

1994 are young-ins.

In my garage, I use a pair of The Fisher...(you have to go way back to when Fisher mattered...let alone when "The" was included)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I indicated, I am very happy with the L5's especially for music. Your statement that I need to go back in order to go forward is interesting and I did not think about that approach. But, it may be easier to buy a set of RTI A9s for my home theater and keep the L5s as my music speakers connected to my old Denon amp. All I have to do is convince my wife that you can never have enough speakers in a basement. I'm still left wondring how much of a difference timber matching the speakers will make to overall home theater experience.

And schan, I am the kind of guy that keeps something until it breaks before replacing so I agree that 1994 is not old especially for something that works well!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.