AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are in the middle of remodeling our guest bedroom and want to turn into a guest room/home theater room.

I want to go as big as the room allows. The screen wall is 10 feet 6 inches or 126 inches wide. How close can I get to the side walls? The screen wall and ceiling is going to be dark chocolate brown and the side walls will be a deep red.

I've never had a front projector before just wondering if there are going to be any issues with getting too close to the side walls. I'm planning on getting a fixed frame screen so there will be a border but can the borders pretty much go wall to wall?

·
Registered
573 Posts
If your walls are matte and dark you will be ok, but also pay attention to how low screen is not only for speakers to fit but also so your not looking down at the floor......where are your mains and center going to fit?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have mentioned that the ceiling is 8 feet high.

As far as speakers.. I currently have some tower speakers that are probably going to be too tall.. I am thinking of just getting some smaller speakers and just lay them on the side so that the front right and left speakers lay the same way the center speaker would lay close to the ground.

Would a 134" Carada BW be too big for the room? Here is the link

http://www.carada.com/ProductInfo.as...N-SCREEN-H134C

The width fits barely, with the height of the frame I would about 24 inches of wall from top to bottom that is not covered by the screen. Would that be too low?

Do I need to go with a scope screen so that it won't be too tall?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
What make and model projector? How deep is the room? Depending on your answers, you may not have enough throw to fill a 134" screen. Even if you have a projector that can fill a 134 in your room, would you be comfortable watching it from 10-11 feet away? (I would not.) Of course, it's largely personal preference. When you go to a movie theater, do you prefer to sit in the first row?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike A /forum/post/18290492

I should have mentioned that the ceiling is 8 feet high.

As far as speakers.. I currently have some tower speakers that are probably going to be too tall.. I am thinking of just getting some smaller speakers and just lay them on the side so that the front right and left speakers lay the same way the center speaker would lay close to the ground.

Would a 134" Carada BW be too big for the room? Here is the link

http://www.carada.com/ProductInfo.as...N-SCREEN-H134C

The width fits barely, with the height of the frame I would about 24 inches of wall from top to bottom that is not covered by the screen. Would that be too low?

Do I need to go with a scope screen so that it won't be too tall?

Changing the orientation of your speakers is going to affect the audio in your home theater. Tower speaker designs are made to disperse the sound horizontally but when you lay your towers down on the floor half of the sound will be absorbed by the floor and the other half will be wasted towards the ceiling.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBoy /forum/post/18291874

What make and model projector? How deep is the room? Depending on your answers, you may not have enough throw to fill a 134" screen. Even if you have a projector that can fill a 134 in your room, would you be comfortable watching it from 10-11 feet away? (I would not.) Of course, it's largely personal preference. When you go to a movie theater, do you prefer to sit in the first row?

I do prefer big.. while I don't sit in the front row I like sitting closer than the middle.

Currently I have a 73" DLP rear projection and sit about 7 feet away and for blurays it's great. I would like to sit closer to get more of an immersive feeling but it would look silly in my living room having the couches so close.

The throw thing was another question I was going to ask but wasn't sure if this was the place to do it. The depth of the room is 17 feet 2 inches. Looking at some reviews at projectorreviews and using the calculator at projector central only a few projector would seem to fit the bill. I guess on the cheap side I could go with a BenQ W6000 or go with something like an RS25 which I'm not sure I want to spend that much on my first PJ.

The BenQ W6000 seems to be at the limit of the wide angle in order to reach that screen size. Is there a draw back to being at that end of the zoom range? I don't think I fully understand the pros and cons of each end of the throw range.

And regarding speakers.. I don't plan on laying tower speakers on it's sides.. I plan on getting speakers that are similar to center speakers just bigger. I've seen pictures of other home theaters with this type of configuration. Another thing I want to add is that we live in a townhome.. as it is I can't really take full advantage of the speakers I have because of neighbors. So the volume level has to be kept at a reasonable level at all times.

·
Registered
573 Posts
While 24in isnt too low I would think about a smaller screen, as close as your going to sit you will be emersed in a screen size of 100in and up, that would also allow you to properly place your front speakers and give you a bit more ground clearance from bottom of screen that I would prefer if it were me.

I am not talking a bunch more but a few more inches IMO would be much more ideal.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike A /forum/post/18295127

The BenQ W6000 seems to be at the limit of the wide angle in order to reach that screen size. Is there a draw back to being at that end of the zoom range? I don't think I fully understand the pros and cons of each end of the throw range.

At the wide-angle end of the throw range (i.e., short throw), the effective aperture of the lens is largest, so that will provide the brightest picture. That would be an advantage with the large screen you are planning. Cons are a slightly softer picture with lower contrast and more chromatic aberration. In addition, if you are using a high gain angular reflective screen, short throw can cause noticeable hot spotting.

At the narrow-angle end of the throw (i.e., long throw), the opposite occurs: dimmer but sharper, higher contrast picture with less chromatic aberration and less chance of hot spotting.

Projector manufacturers generally limit the wide-angle end of the throw range before the cons get too bad, but the loss of brightness at long throw is just the nature of the beast. For example, some of the projectors with 2:1 zoom range are 3 times as bright at the short throw end as at the long.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Before buying your screen, just leave your wall white and project the image on the wall for a bit and watch 2 or 3 movies that way. See if it is bright enough for the size you intend and too low etc. Its easy to change and view movies this way finding the right size for you before you put down the $$ on the actual screen.

Watch 16x9 and 2.35 content, adjust the zoom and size and play with the placement of your speakers. After a few evenings and a movie or two you'll have a great idea of what will fit and look great for your setup.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
I do NOT like the front row at the theatre. I typically sit center eye level. I just got a 119" screen and I sit @ 10ft. For 16x9 HDTV and 1:85:1/1:78:1 BD's. the picture is immersive, but even then not overwhelming and oddly enough it doesn't seem like the first row of the theatre as you can still take in the entire screen in your peripheral vision and don't get neck or eye strain. Having said that, I can see being elevated a foot getting your eyes closer to center and sitting at 12-14ft to be ideal. I went big as a bit of future proofing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys for the information.. definately helpful!

I may consider holding off on painting the screen wall, the only problem is the screen wall is a mess with patches that are slightly off color. Maybe I can get some cheap white paint to make it more even until we paint it dark brown.

Will being 10-11 feet away be an issue for the screen door effect for DLP? I'm seriously considering the BenQ W6000 just because it's bright and I love the look of DLP. I have a 73" RP DLP now and I can see the diamond shaped mirrors from about 3 feet away. I'm thinking with the size I'm moving up to that the mirrors will be almost twice as big so I'm concerned about SDE.

I'm thinking I may go a step smaller and go with the 126" 16x9....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts