AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Especially since the R-DES is sufficiently cheaper?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Leave it to Craig and some of the more knowledgable posters to give you a more detailed reply, but the SIMS-1 has auto eg, instant comparison on screen of any change in settings, eight bands of parametric eg fs, four with RDES. RDES appears to be able to do most of what the Felo does, but in comparison it seems clunky and is more cumbersom to use. However, it costs half as much. I like both but I will get the Velo since I look at it as a long term solution to my room woes. :)

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
With RDES you need to use a PC... this is good and bad because you can store additional curves, but you actually need to PC to set it up. I believe the SMS has its own video signal.

The SMS is supposed to have an automatic set-up, with its own mic. The RDES does not currently offer that feature, though it has been hinted you would be able to add one in the future.

·
Banned
11,550 Posts
If one looks at R-Des at $399, here is what you get :

1. A four band parametric EQ

2. Four storable curves (with unlimited available on your computer)

3. A pretty nice "on screen" graph paper

If one looks at the SMS-1 for $699, here is what you get

1. An eight band parametric EQ

2. Six stored curves (no additional computer storage)

3. A Behringer microphone

4. All necessary measuring software

5. Cords necessary to hook up system

6. Auto EQ.

In order to make R-Des "almost" as simple to use as is the SMS-1, you need TrueRTA, a Behringer microphone, and the necessary soundcard for one's computer.

The SMS-1 just does a lot more. However, when one looks at R-Des as part of a package - as in a UFW-12 for $1100 or a pair of them for $2000, R-Des becomes pretty attractive.

Giving some specific examples - If I had an IB system like Thomas W, or a pair of SVS B4+, I would go SMS-1 all the way. Once you have that kind of $$$$ and effort into a system, going cheap here is not a great idea.

But - and take this with a grain of salt until we actually see some real world feedback - The UFW-12 combo may end up being the biggest bargain in subwoofers going. If the specs are true, it may/will best the DD-18 for a LOT less $$$$.

Also, if you like to tinker, and have a Radio Shack meter already, R-Des does make "manual eq" pretty easy with the included "graph paper" program.

It takes about an hour to "tame" a room with R-Des. It takes about 5 minutes with the SMS-1.

Ok ... Self abuse time here. I just read this answer. I sound like a politician on "Meet the Press" ... :p

·
Registered
241 Posts
Craig,

From talking with a buddy of mine who is a pretty big Velodyne fan (loves his little DD-10), he's expecting the actual street price of the SMS-1 to be a lot closer to price of R-DES than what MSRP is.

Also, I don't have a clue what the specs are on the drivers in either sub, but it would take one hell of a 12" driver/amp combo to best any decent 18" driver due to the huge differences in Sd. Not that I'm doubting the UFW-12's capabilities. I'd sure like to see it be a DD-18 killer! ;)

·
Banned
11,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bunge
Craig,

From talking with a buddy of mine who is a pretty big Velodyne fan (loves his little DD-10), he's expecting the actual street price of the SMS-1 to be a lot closer to price of R-DES than what MSRP is.

Also, I don't have a clue what the specs are on the drivers in either sub, but it would take one hell of a 12" driver/amp combo to best any decent 18" driver due to the huge differences in Sd. Not that I'm doubting the UFW-12's capabilities. I'd sure like to see it be a DD-18 killer! ;)
Brian, When I said "UFW-12 combo", I was referring to the pair of them with R-Des for $2000... :) (and I should have been more specific) ...

And if the street price comes in for under $500, the SMS-1 will be THE option for a high performance subwoofer, IMO.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Do either of these do anything that a BFD + RoomEQ can't do? That's not intended to be a snide comment - I'm really want to know. :)

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
What happens when you have a 90hz peak to tame? Does the SMS-1 not tame it? I noticed it is only 1/6 octave resolution and has specific adjustments for 80 and 100, but not 90.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Billybob - One of the big differences (usability aside) for me is the pre-sets that both SMS-1 and R-DES have (and I dont' think a BFD has - correct me if I"m wrong). This allows for different sets of corrections for something like single-seat optimized and broader seating optimized. IIRC, SMS-1 also has a remote control, but I could be wrong.

Can anyone say if the SMS-1 has an overall level adjustment for each preset? It would be nice if one could easily switch between flat and hot when going from music to movies.

I'll be interested in what the SMS-1 really sells for. Last I heard, they increased the MSRP to $699.

·
Banned
11,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega
What happens when you have a 90hz peak to tame? Does the SMS-1 not tame it? I noticed it is only 1/6 octave resolution and has specific adjustments for 80 and 100, but not 90.
You go to "manual" setting, and move one of the "sliders" to 90 Hz. It is a fully functional, parametric equalizer. The you tame that 90 Hz peak.

·
Banned
11,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv
Do either of these do anything that a BFD + RoomEQ can't do? That's not intended to be a snide comment - I'm really want to know. :)
You can also set where you want the "low cut" filter to start, and at what slope. You can hit three buttons and have a TOTALLY automatic EQ.

You can see the graph right on your TV screen without having to chart it nor get a separate computer program.

You can remote raise and lower the subwoofer's volume ...

It is a GREAT unit.

·
Registered
30,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradJudy
Billybob - One of the big differences (usability aside) for me is the pre-sets that both SMS-1 and R-DES have (and I dont' think a BFD has - correct me if I"m wrong). This allows for different sets of corrections for something like single-seat optimized and broader seating optimized. IIRC, SMS-1 also has a remote control, but I could be wrong.
You are right. It has a remote.

Quote:
Can anyone say if the SMS-1 has an overall level adjustment for each preset?
It does.

Quote:
It would be nice if one could easily switch between flat and hot when going from music to movies.
You can.

Kal

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub
You can also set where you want the "low cut" filter to start, and at what slope. You can hit three buttons and have a TOTALLY automatic EQ.

You can see the graph right on your TV screen without having to chart it nor get a separate computer program.

You can remote raise and lower the subwoofer's volume ...

It is a GREAT unit.
I don't own a TV - does that mean I wont be able to use the velodyne unit - since i can't see the OSD?

Thanks!

·
Banned
11,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson
You are right. It has a remote.

It does.

You can.

Kal
Laughing here ... Thanks, Kal. I was just about to answer Brad. You are, of course, right on all counts ... :)

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Take Craig's word for it the price is fair and it is an outstanding product compared to what's out there nothing is as easy and complete.

·
Banned
11,550 Posts
Quote:
I don't own a TV - does that mean I wont be able to use the velodyne unit - since i can't see the OSD?

Thanks!
I would guess there is some form of adaptor which will allow you to use your computer. But ... No home theater screen of any kind ? WOW. Read a lot ? :)

·
Registered
30,710 Posts
Quote:

Thanks!
Borrow one. There is no other display output on it.

Kal

·
Registered
499 Posts
The choice of TV output was a double-edged sword for Velodyne. It's more convienent for home theater use, but it kind of alienates the two-channel audio folks. I wonder if there will be packages with those small LCD TVs from the auto industry like this: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=205-505 Might be too small, I haven't seen the SMS-1 interface in person.

Kal, thanks for the answers. That definitely makes the SMS-1 appealing.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.