AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a completely open basement but decided to close some space off to improve the home theater performance. The area closed off is about 12' wide by about 17' long. Ceiling is a low drop ceiling about 7' high. Walls are on three sides. How much negative impact is there not enclosing the back wall. I have a 7.1 set-up with Def Tech's all around. Floor is concrete. We will have throw rugs to absorb the sound (tried carpeting but got flooded 7 times).

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,382 Posts
I have some experience with an open back space compared to a closed back. Basically two things. First is that the surround sound does not seem as enveloping as the close back theaters I've visited. My layman's interpretation is that without the back wall reflections a portion of what you should be hearing for the surround effect is lost out the back.

The other thing you notice as you walk around my basement is areas of louder bass, outside the theater area (Peak Nodes)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reason I would like to leave it open is for additional seating and extra room. Would putting a heavy insulating curtain be of much value? We have a curtain that covers the side entrance about 8'.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts