AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know if it is possible to utilize the wifi feature of Samsung D7000 and D8000 series to such an extent the only wire necessary is for power.

I have seen wireless Blu-Ray, and would imagine I can hook up the HDTV to my wireless router, but are these connections as good as a wired connection?

Also, how would I do a wireless connection to an antenna? Not that I ever have issues with my cable(lol).

·
Registered
446 Posts
I think you maybe confused about what a wireless connection might be. You still hookup your cable and Blu-ray player to the TV via a HDMI cable. The wireless connection is for internet apps and streaming content providers (Netflix, Pandora, YouTube etc).

A wireless internet connection is not as good as a wired connection because a wired connection will provide a more stable signal.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
There is no way to get a cable or antenna signal to the set wirelessly. Your power-cord only scenario will work only for internet apps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the wireless is only for internet apps, what is the purpose of a wireless blu-ray player?

Is the wireless on the blu-ray only used to access internet apps as well?

·
Registered
5,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgwforum /forum/post/20834339

If the wireless is only for internet apps, what is the purpose of a wireless blu-ray player?

Is the wireless on the blu-ray only used to access internet apps as well?

Yup! More precisely it's only for accessing the wireless network in your home, whether for internet apps, BD-Live special features, or firmware updates for the player. You still need an HDMI cable connected from the player to the tv.

If you don't want the power cord to show (as in an on-wall installation) you're going to have to put an outlet behind the set anyway, why not run the HDMI and antenna cables at the same time?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The wireless feature is for streaming video content through DLNA and connecting to the web to stream Netflix movies, browse the web, download firmware updates and so on. I don't think I've ever seen something your talking about. If it did exist, you wouldn't want it anyway. The picture would be no where near as good as if it was wired.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
My brother-in-law thought that if you bought an HDTV, you wouldn't need to do anything except plug the electric cord into an outlet and you would magically get any TV station you ever wanted without an antenna, cable, or anything.

It was all the salesman could do to keep from laughing and I wanted to go hide in the nearest corner.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
^^^In my experience as a salesperson this is a surprisingly common misconception. After all you don't need a (visible) antenna to watch video on your smart phone or I-pad.

It's why I always ask buyers if they have satellite, cable, or antenna--so I can advise them of the need to upgrade to an HD box for sat or cable and how to scan for channels if they're on an antenna.

A surprising number of folks deny they're using any of the three, or don't know.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S /forum/post/20850574

^^^In my experience as a salesperson this is a surprisingly common misconception. After all you don't need a (visible) antenna to watch video on your smart phone or I-pad.

It's why I always ask buyers if they have satellite, cable, or antenna--so I can advise them of the need to upgrade to an HD box for sat or cable and how to scan for channels if they're on an antenna.

A surprising number of folks deny they're using any of the three, or don't know.

Yes, and it was in "your" store, actually one just like it 2,000+ miles away here in the heartland.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have had my TV for about a week now.

I play all kinds of content from my PC to the HDTV via ALL SHARE. I download videos to the PC in HI DEF and use All Share to send streaming video without wires. After watching about 4 hours of content, I don't think a single frame has been missed.

My understanding is Samsung Blu Rays come with ALL SHARE. As a result, it would seem I could get a wireless BLU RAY to HDTV connection.

·
Registered
92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgwforum /forum/post/20936013

I have had my TV for about a week now.

I play all kinds of content from my PC to the HDTV via ALL SHARE. I download videos to the PC in HI DEF and use All Share to send streaming video without wires. After watching about 4 hours of content, I don't think a single frame has been missed.

My understanding is Samsung Blu Rays come with ALL SHARE. As a result, it would seem I could get a wireless BLU RAY to HDTV connection.

The Samsung Bluray comes with an All Share input. It can't actually doing any sharing itself, just playback shared things.

Bluray is so encrypted and locked down it can't be wirelessly streamed like that at all. The Hollywood studios would have a total fit if such a thing was even possible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts