AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I am anxiously awaiting the HD TIVO so I can finally time-shift, I am curious to know about the programming end of things. I don't have TIVO now, but I understand that the TIVO units get their programming information from either DirecTV or by subscribing to the TIVO service.

I am concerned about this because I currently have DirecTV, but I get my locals the old fashioned way, by antenna. Plus, I am not picking up the locals in "my market." What I mean is that I am in RI where my locals would be the Providence stations, but I watch Boston almost exclusively. In addition, only one Providence station is even broadcasting digitally. I know that DirecTV won't let me subscribe to Boston locals (I don't care about it now as I watch them all with my DTC-100), but does that mean that I won't get programming information for the Boston locals when I have the HD TIVO? What does this mean for being able to view and record those stations?

Clearly, I am a newbie to TIVO and appreciate any info.

SMK

·
Registered
869 Posts
DirecTiVos get the program guide via the DirecTV APG, not the phone calls. I think APG already includes guide data for local stations, but I wouldn't stake my life on that.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Sure it does, as most DirecTV customers take local channels.

This data would need to be augmented on the HD Tivo to account for sub-channel selection.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I guess that is what I'm worried about. If it gets the local info from DirecTV, and DirecTV thinks my locals are all in Providence, what will happen when I want to view/record Boston's stations?

SMK

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Glimmie
TiVo requires a telephone connection at all times and that's where it get's programming info. It calls home every night I think or at least once every few days..
The current SD Directvio doesn't really require a telephone connection at all. You do need one to order PPV via the guide. If your phone line is not connected you will get a nag message, but everything still works since the guide data comes from the satellite.

Jay

·
Registered
721 Posts
I had a phone line broken ( family dog ) for 14 days and my DIRECTIVO stopped working for anything except live TV, no guides, no PVR functionality until I fixed the problem and got the DIRECTIVO to successfully call in. It still needs a phone line, but doesn't need it to always be connected.

Jeff

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jerndl
The current SD Directvio doesn't really require a telephone connection at all. You do need one to order PPV via the guide. If your phone line is not connected you will get a nag message, but everything still works since the guide data comes from the satellite.

Jay
OK, then unplug it and see what happens. The above post is correct. It will shut down all TiVo related functions until it calls home.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
OK, then unplug it and see what happens. The above post is correct. It will shut down all TiVo related functions until it calls home.
I'll have to try in on one of my 2 units to be positive, but over in the Directivo forum there are many many people reporting that they are using their directivo without a phoneline connected without any problems other than the occasional nag. It is reported that you do however need a phone line to do the initial setup of a new Directivo. Here is a quote from one post
Quote:
Yes, you NEED a phone line for initial setup, and software updates. Once setup, it's not necessary...you'll just hafta put up with daily 'nag screens' and messages that can easily be deleted whenever you desire.
Here is a link to that thread .

Jay

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have tried it (unplugging my SD DTiVo from the phone line). After 30 days you get one nag screen each day (I think once a week until 30 days). After 58 days I finally got around to pluging it in.

With older 2.x SW it nags everyday at 14 days and shutsdown at 28 days.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ADent
I have tried it (unplugging my SD DTiVo from the phone line). After 30 days you get one nag screen each day (I think once a week until 30 days). After 58 days I finally got around to pluging it in.
Your experience seems to be consistant with what most Directivo users are reporting in the Directivo forum.

Jay

·
Registered
439 Posts
If Tivo is going the same route that Dish Network is going for the 921 they will be asking Tribune to collect local schedule data. This data will be shipped down to the unit via a EPG stream for use with OTA. The ammount of Data is trivial, getting all the stations to correctly ID their programming to Subchannel, that might be another matter. Although most channels don't do much in the way of multicasting, and what multicasting is usually SD mirror of the HD broadcast. (Although my local PBS channel multicasts four or five things at a time.)

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Quote:
I have several DirecTiVos that are not connected to phone lines. Other than the aforementioned nag screens, they work fine. Pre-3.1 they would shut down after 30 days with no phone line, but that has not been true for a long time.

/carmi

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Especially because the programming info for the locals has been notoriously inaccurate, including subchannels, I am concerned about what will happen with them. I also wonder what happens if a program goes long or the schedule gets off time. For example, Sunday football games or other sporting events which themselves can go over and then push all the programming for that evening back. Does TIVO give you any option for manual programming a la a VCR? If not, how do you adjust for this?

SMK

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Yes, you can manually program a Tivo, a la a VCR. You generally would not want to, in the version where things run long, you can prepare for this and adjust your auto recordiongs to start early and/or end late.

Tivo's guide data -- which comes from Tribune AFAIK -- is quite good.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Roy,

Rogo is right, if you are recording football, say, you would probably need to go into the options and schedule it to end late, I usually go with 30 minutes for a football game. This "padding' can be stopped if the game ends on time, but they rarely do....

Jeff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.