AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Im trying to build a replica Focal Utopia 3. We have a cabinet making shop at our disposal, so we have every tool needed, and space to take on such a project.

Progress on my Utopia in attachments. The tape measure is at 13 inches.

http://www.focal-fr.com/

Now I dont assume my creation will be nearly as good as the real thing, but Im hoping it looks great, and sounds as good as what I have now (Jamo E680 fronts).

As you can see here, it has a 16" subwoofer, an 11" woofer on the top, looks like two 6.5" mids, and a tweeter. If I have the subwoofer covered with my sub and amp now, that leaves me with 4 speakers I need to handle. Im thinking I dont need another woofer, so I might go with say an 8" up top, with two 6.5" below and the tweeter.

I just need to know how I can wire this thing, and what speakers I should run. It needs to be either a 4-way, or a 3-way with two 16ohm mids wired to 8ohms. I would like the final product 6ohms, but 8 ohms would work as well.

I was thinking of buying the Focal car speakers, but they are 4ohm, and Im not sure my Denon 1910 will work well with such a low impedance. That will also only give me 3 speakers, which is 1 missing.

Speakers and crossover here:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KVBjiPC...ess-165A3.html

Im hoping someone can help me out with speaker choices, since the Focals are a little pricey.

Thanks, and any help would be awesome.

PS- I have built the bottom sub boxes, and the are 4 cu/ft ported tuned to 20hz. They look great. I will post some pics when they are finished. We will be laminating them with some black either wood finish, or glossy finish.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
is that really the kit for the Folcal Utopia's?

Crutchfields says its the Focal Access 165A3

·
Registered
509 Posts
There is a lot more to speaker design than just how to wire things up. Those crossovers are designed for those specific drivers in a car. What you need is someone who will measure the frequency response of your drivers in your cabinet and then design a proper crossover. This is not a trivial effort, especially given that you want to do a three way or four way. If you are going to spend that much money on a pair of DIY speakers, get someone like Rick Craig who knows what they are doing to design the XO's for you.

Regards,

Dennis

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djarchow /forum/post/16986902

There is a lot more to speaker design than just how to wire things up. Those crossovers are designed for those specific drivers in a car. What you need is someone who will measure the frequency response of your drivers in your cabinet and then design a proper crossover. This is not a trivial effort, especially given that you want to do a three way or four way. If you are going to spend that much money on a pair of DIY speakers, get someone like Rick Craig who knows what they are doing to design the XO's for you.

Regards,

Dennis

Maybe Im reading his post wrong but he posted a link to the drivers and the crossovers already?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Penn,

He did, but the one he linked to is a car system and XO and would be far from optimal for use in a tower speaker like he is talking about. I mean if you are spending a couple grand on Focal drivers you don't want to wreck it with an off the shelf car XO. Not to mention he is talking about using different drivers or adding drivers which would make that car XO even more unusable.

Regards,

Dennis

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
doh!

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Those drivers are NOT the ones used in the Utopia. Not even close. The Utopia uses the Be tweeter and W cone woofers. You're talking about building a completely different speaker.

·
Registered
709 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro /forum/post/16987046

Those drivers are NOT the ones used in the Utopia. Not even close. The Utopia uses the Be tweeter and W cone woofers. You're talking about building a completely different speaker.

Plus they do not sell to DIYers for the current speakers/drivers....

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro /forum/post/16987343

Yep. http://zalytron.com/ does have some of the older W cone woofers. No Be tweeters though.

There was a thread about the actually percentage of Be in the drivers, I wonder if Focal was one of those companies that advertised but truely had tweeters with less then 10% Be?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea guys, Im not trying to use the same Focal drivers they use. The set they use are about 5k or so if I remember right per side.

I just want something that sounds as good as what I have now, the Jamo E680 from WWStereo.

Are there any crossovers that are pre-built that I can just hook speakers up to and go? Ive been reading some of your guys DIY threads, and you all seem to be fans of the Hi-Vi and a few other brands.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro /forum/post/16987343

Yep. http://zalytron.com/ does have some of the older W cone woofers. No Be tweeters though.

Great site! Would I be able to use any of those with a crossover I can buy pre-built?

I dont understand how you determine a crossovers ohm load, is it from the speakers all combined, or is it from the crossover itself?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also, on another note, I can get the Focal car set I linked for a great deal from a friend, so that was my motivation to using Focal car stereo gear.

What would be wrong with that?

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Cons:

1. They're 4ohm - not really a bad thing, just an inconvenience if you amp doesn't like 4ohm.

2. They're focals bottom of the line model, and you may well be able to get better wuality drivers.

Pros:

1. They come with crossovers

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
In short, there's a lot more stuff that needs to be accounted for inside a room than inside of a car (well that usually gets worried about anyway). The inside of a home speaker is quite different than the inside of a car door, etc, etc. How close do you sit from speakers in a car, how big is the inside of a car versus a room. Are those car doors sealed? Ported? How close is the tweeter from the midrange?

They don't waste the time for car audio. If they did, every crossover would be different for every car and every install based on inner car dimensions, placement, door size, everything, heck even how well sealed the doors are. They just couldn't do that. It all changes the way a good speaker should sound.......not just loud with music blasting from everywhere.

Every little change can require a crossover change. Look at the crossover for the speakers you linked to. That's a general crossover for an extremely general purpose.....any car, whatever type of placement...."let's just get them some sound."

Here's a crossover from a NHT brand 3-way speaker for home use: The crossover on the left is just for the tweeter. The other one is for the woofers and midrange. There's a lot of stuff in there that takes a lot of stuff into consideration. Stuff I don't even fully comprehend and things that take years and years to understand and lots of equipment to properly measure.

http://www.avalawnlandscaping.com/im...components.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I understand what your saying. Do you or anyone else have a suggestion on a good crossover I can use without breaking the bank, and some speakers.

Im not an audiophile, so Im not sure I know what to look for in a sound. With that said, if I properly mapped out the speakers in bassbox 6, and built the proper enclosures for the Focal set, would I have a good sounding set of speakers?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.