AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there,

I have a harman kardan signature 2.0 series amp.

It has 5 channels, each with a pre-amp input for center, left, right, rear left and rear right. It has no line input or other ways to input the audio, just via the pre-amp.

I now want to use this amp to drive 5 outdoor speakers.

The source for the pre-amp is a stereo source, just left and right.

when hooked up to the amp, the center, and rear right and rear left sound is almost none existent, since the source is stereo.

Is there some way to drive the sound to all 5 channels equally?

Maybe convert the stereo to mono and then multiply this to all the channels?

How would I do this? i don't think I can just get multiple rca splitters can I? won't this reduce the voltage too much where the amp may not recognize it?

The sound quality does not have to be awesome since it is for outdoors. The 5 speakers will cover an area of about 60 ft wide. So if I had the same sound coming out of each of the 5 outdoor speaker, I would be happy.

any ideas greatly appreciated in advance.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I am sure that you could use y-cables to distribute one channel of audio across at least 2 channels, and likely more. Running all 5 channels from one pre-amp output might be pushing the limits, however. Post the source component (whatever will be supplying the signal to the amp) and maybe someone will lookup the specs, lookup the specs for your amp, and provide some informed analysis.

If you can set the source device to mono, you could likely use y-cables to feed 2 channels with the left and 3 channels with the right. Would that be acceptable, or is setting the source to mono problematic (annoying, or won't work for some other reason)?

Failing that, you can probably find some kind of device to downmix to mono and drive all five channels of the amp.

-Max

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds reasonable, thanks!

If i cannot set the source device to mono and just left it as stereo, using y cables to feed 2 channels from the Left and 3 channels from the right, do you think the sound quality would be fine?

you last point about downmixing to mono, any idea what device that would be? I don't even have a clue as to how to look for something like that.

thanks a bunch!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.