AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Not too good at this, but basically with this layout (approx sizing & positioning) Where would you guys put the sides and rears for the 7.1 Layout?

I'm thinking of rear mounting the rears, and the one I was curious about was the sides. Would it be feasible to mount one at the very left and put one on the right with stands....

Or should the left surround be on the coffee table screwing over the people in the 2nd couch section
?

granted most of the time I will be in the right seat, which is why it's the closest to the center of the screen. And the screen can swivel.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thats a tough room, how big are your speakers? Hopefully small form factor that can be ceiling mounted. No matter how you do it, the only sweet spots will be the couch directly in front of the tv, acoustically the side couch will be a hosed regardless if the tv swivels, I would establish a system based on that ideal. Have you considered highs rather than rears? Dolby PL2x.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
You don't really have enough room to put up back surrounds. How far is couch from the back wall? I would put the side surround on either side of the couch. I would put them on stands so that the tweeter was about 1 foot above ear level but you might want to play around with the height and see which one sounds better to you.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I definitely think it is not worth it for a full 7.1 in that room. You should go with 5.1, and if you think wire and placement is going to be awkward, you should just go with in-ceiling speakers. Side and rear channels are not terribly important as they usually just playback ambient sounds anyway, so don't stress over it too much. If wiring, mounting, and placement ends up being a hassle or causes a distraction, you should just forego surrounds altogether, take that money and invest it in your front stage or subwoofer where it'll probably do more good.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 /forum/post/19519385

Are you the one who bought the Jamo and Sony speakers?

Which size Jamo's? From the smile it seems you like them! They sell them locally so I've heard them. What was your main motivation in buying the Jamo's?

BTW...I agree with others...go for 5.1 in that room setup. Furthermore, you'll have to forget the side couch. Or, you could rearrage the furniture and angle both couches and give the most seats near the center. I did that about 5 years ago and it was a hit with my family of 6.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sigh...... I really should have just stuck with 5.1. It would have been less thick under the carpet and I could have probably routed 2 wires under the moulding but 4 has been too thick so it produces a bit of a bump (abeit on the side) of the carpet. I'm going to be putting a bookshelf on top of that bump too so I'm a bit worried about that as well....

Not to mention I have no idea how i'm going to nearly wire the surround sides.......

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse /forum/post/19531148

Your room is simply not able to support proper 7.1 in it's current configuration. I wouldn't bother trying... it'll likely just end up worse.

Use the last two speakers as front-heights...

In that case, would It be ok to stick my surrounds on the side and rear and angle them towards the rear couch? That way Much easier to hide wires that way without fuddling up the middle of the room.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Place them at the angles Dolby or THX recommend for sides in a 5.1 setup -- 90 to 110 degrees from center seat. Be sure to aim them at the center seat, and install them as close to ear level as you can get away with...

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ugh.... I wish I came about this conclusion earlier. But the comment about how 7.1 could make it worse changed my mind.

I suppose I could re purpose those Sony's to front heights and remount the right speaker for the 5.1 (diagram)

attached a diagram of how I was going to do the 7.1 and how I plan to fix the 5.1 a bit. The biggest issue with the 7.1 was the right surround and how to wire it without it getting in the way or being noticeable. The rest were pretty straightforward to run under the carpet next to the wall.

·
Registered
19,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride525
Zoglog,

I'm confused about your changes. Don't you want the 5.1 rear surrounds on the sides like you had them first?
The way this is going - he may never settle down, to listen before

Christmas. 5.1 should be on the sides.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The problem with putting it on the sides is that the wiring is difficult as there's no edges to hide them with.

I'm well aware that they are supposed to be on the sides, but if the sides wasn't an issue I would have had no problem with the 7.1 setup.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Just turn your setup 15 degrees to the right.....

Put your display in the corner, rear surrounds in the opposite corner, this is a great layout for a 7.1 setup. I have this exact layout and its awesome...

Plus the benefits of a corner loaded front is way the mains are oriented with the sidewall,..i.e. the obtuse angle in which the angle of incidence is such that those side reflections blow past and arrive much later than the axial stuff. High ceiling, sidewalls that fall away, the only potential issue is off the floor so you're way ahead of many rooms right off the bat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey all,

I have a similar problem that i would appreciate some advice on. I have just moved into a new home and am trying to get my av equipment setup. I have a Onkyo 7.1 system and i did have a 46 LCD but the movers broke it
on the upside, i now get to buy a bigger/better tv
(am thinking LED but thats a whole other topic).

anyway i have attached a pic of the basic room layout and a couple of ideas for speaker/TV/Furniture layouts. I am not constarined in anyway so have free reign to mount the TV and speakers where ever is best and will buy furniture to fit around that.

so i defer to you guys for any advice comments

Thanks in advance!

D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts