AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attached is a photo of my unfinished space as well as a photo of what I'd like to accomplish. First, please ignore the existing frame in the my photo. I thought I knew what I was doing, but in fact, I do not so that frame is being removed.

Now, how would I build something similar to Audixium's setup? I'll have 3 Chane A2.4's and 2 HSU ULS-15 subs behind a 135" AT screen. A few questions that I have:
  1. Does the back wall need to be drywalled? Or can I just frame and fill it with some sound absorption?
  2. What kind of absorption needs to be placed back there in order to reduce reflections and improve sound quality? What are those black panels in Audixium's setup?
  3. How far out should the false wall be? I've read that 30" is usually sufficient.
  4. The 135" AT screen will cover the majority of the wall. Do I use GOM fabric panels to cover the top, bottom and sides?
I'm looking to keep this relatively simple, however I'm open to any suggestions. Please feel free to let me know if I missed anything major. This is my first home theater build so I'm very new to all of this. Thanks!

Attachments

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,885 Posts
build false wall/screen walls inside a drywalled room, it is labor intensive to finish a room with that framing in the middle of the room. take down what you've erected and frame and drywall the room then come back and ask about a screen wall design. It improves sound isolation. Also, if you or a future owner wants to convert the space to other uses it will make things a lot easier. An astute buyers inspector might also peak behind the screen and say WTF this room isn't finished. Certainly not up to codes for insulation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts