AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Just looking to see if this configuration i have in mind is the best option. I have 2 IVS and CA enabled 5504s. I also have a Dlink "B" router, a "B" bridge and 2 "G" buffalo WBR2-54Gs. I think the best way to do this would be "G" buffalo connected to my Cable modem, a "G" buffalo connected to my main IVS Replay and then the "B" Dlink bridge connected to my other replay the will hardly ever do IVS. Is this the best configuration? I record in standard mode. I will occasionally have to stream between the 2 replays. Will it be too jerky? Should i just pony up and get another Buffalo "G" router? Thanks.

·
Registered
788 Posts
IVS doesn't stress the link like streaming does. You'll almost certainly need another WBR2-54G for your second ReplayTV. Your "B bridge" wouldn't be able to connect with your 802.11g Buffalo anyway, since the Buffalo uses 802.11g WDS for bridging (incompatible with your 802.11b "bridge").

·
Registered
788 Posts
I re-read your first post, and you may be able to get by with your two Buffalo's. You don't mention anything about computers, so I assume that streaming between your Replays and having the Replays access the Internet are your primary concerns. The highest speed requirement is streaming between the Replays. An 802.11b connection may be sufficient for your Internet connection, depending on your cable modem speed and your actual throughput over the 802.11b link. If you're getting 3 mbps or higher download speeds over your cable modem, then you may be pushing your actual throughput over your 802.11b link, depending upon distance and signal quality. On the other hand, the Replays don't require a lot of the Internet connection, because your upstream speed will be limited by your cable company, and anyone sending you programs over IVS will almost certainly be limited by their cable or DSL upload speeds (which are typically very low compared to download speeds), and the ReplayTV servers for guide and software updates aren't particularly fast. So, you may be able to use your 802.11b D-Link router at the cable modem, and, assuming you mean an 802.11b access point that can connect with your D-Link router when you say "B bridge", then the 802.11b access point could be connected to one of the LAN ports on one of your Buffalo's (both of the Buffalo's would be configured as access points and would connect with each other via WDS bridging). Your 802.11b equipment would need to use a channel that is far from the channel that your 802.11g equipment uses, to avoid interference (and keep the wired Buffalo and 802.11b access point a ways apart). Of course, you would need to assign the IP addresses of the routers and access points correctly. I don't own any of this equipment, so if I've stated anything incorrectly, anyone who knows better can correct me.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Space, you are confusing the hell out of me. I am not sure i understand what you are trying to say. The "B" bridge is simply that -a bridge. It is not an AP so i dont think what you are suggesting will work. Thanks for the effort though.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I looked at the D-Link website, and I think that your existing equipment will work, but it would help if you listed the D-Link model numbers, and since I don't own any of these particular models, I can't give you extremely detailed step-by-step instructions. A lot of people give little diagrams with their posts, so I'll try. Basically, you appear to have two 802.11b devices that can wirelessly bridge (connect) to each other, and you have two 802.11g devices that can bridge to each other.

DB===DR---CM

|

BF===BF---RP

|

RP

Where --- is a wired ethernet connection, === is a wireless connection, CM is your cable modem, DR is your D-Link router, DB is your (presumably D-Link) 802.11b bridge, BF is a Buffalo router/access point, and RP is a ReplayTV. For your purposes, a router is a device that connects your home network to the global Internet via your cable modem. For your purposes, an access point or bridge connects wired portions of your network with other wireless devices on your network. The wireless links are specified by three things: the channel that they use, the SSID (Service Set Identifier) which you can think of as a name for that portion of your network, and the type of wireless security that they use. Your 802.11b and 802.11g equipment will need to use different channels and SSID's. For example, the two D-Links could be set to use channel 1 with an SSID of "Fubar1" (pick a better SSID, of course) with their security settings the same, and the two Buffalos could be set to use channel 11 with an SSID of "Fubar2" with their security settings the same.

I don't have a lot of time to devote to this, you need to do some research (search this forum). There a lot of useful threads on setting up Buffalo routers. I talked about setting up Belkin routers in the thread that I think is called "Belkin setup question", which explains some of the basic terms and concepts.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So i was able to get me a Belkin F5D7230-4 for practically free from staples. However, i have now discovered that the version number is "1444". With what limited information i have read on this forum, looks like this may not work for streaming between 2 replays. Is that statement true? Should i head back to staples and search through all their stock for an earlier version?

·
Registered
788 Posts
The version 1444 hardware will probably work OK for you (and I doubt that you will find any earlier versions left). Buffalo and Belkin both use Broadcom chipsets, and Belkin 4.x firmware uses some Broadcom drivers that do not stream well with ReplayTVs, and the 1444 cannot be downgraded to version 3 firmware. The reason that you should be OK is that many users have reported that they can mix Belkins using version 3 and version 4 firmware and not have streaming problems, and I have not heard of similar problems with the Buffalo firmware, so you should be able to use your Belkin router with the Buffalo routers and not have streaming problems. Since streaming between your ReplayTVs appears to be the critical issue, I would connect each of your ReplayTVs to a Buffalo router, and set your WDS (Wireless Distribution System) topology to bridge them. The Belkin could then function as your router, configured to bridge to the closest Buffalo router (and that Buffalo to it).

I wanted to clarify some things that I said about your "b" bridge. I don't have one of these, so I don't know exactly what yours does. The Buffalo and Belkin 802.11g routers can concurrently bridge and act as access points, and doing this requires a protocol. The WDS protocol is a fairly standard 802.11 protocol that does this. Most 802.11b devices don't support this protocol, and 802.11b is rather slow for such a high-overhead protocol. That's why I said that your "b" bridge would be unlikely to be able to link with your 802.11g equipment. When I looked at the D-Link website, they had some 802.11b devices that they described as bridges that could link individual devices, like an X-Box, with their routers. In that case, it may simply act as a normal 802.11b client, in which case it technically could connect with an 802.11g router (but it would probably be too slow for streaming between your ReplayTVs).

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks cadet. I have always had bad experience with Belkin and i do not trust it enough to be my main DHCP router serving my many computers and other devices. I will hit the local electronics stores looking for an older version.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I wouldn't use much effort to find an older version. You can always keep your D-Link as your primary router and use an Ethernet cable to connect it to your Belkin, configured as an access point, which will wirelessly bridge to one of your Buffalos (or both, depending upon how you configure your network). The LAN ports on the Belkin will more than make up for the use of one of your D-Link's LAN ports. I actually have 4 Belkins, all running 4.03.03 firmware, except the one where my ReplayTVs are, which is running version 3 firmware (this appears to be necessary, version 3 on the Belkins servicing my computers and 4 on the Belkin servicing the ReplayTVs had the streaming problem). I actually have my Belkin router connected to one of my other Belkins via Ethernet, as it is old hardware (version 1000) and its wireless abilities aren't as good as newer versions, so I turned off its wireless connections. If you use your D-Link for 802.11b connections and the Belkins and Buffaloes for 802.11g, then in addition to using widely-separated channels and different SSIDs between the b and g devices, your b and g routers/APs should be at least a couple of feet apart, if possible, as there is RF spillover across several channels, and a little distance will reduce this potential problem. If you change the major firmware revision on a Belkin (e.g., from 4 to 3 or 3 to 4), you will probably need to Restore Factory Defaults and then reconfigure it if you are using it as an AP and are using a wired connection to a router. Since you said that you have computers, if you want to use DVArchive (highly recommended), then you will want to connect them to the g network (via an Ethernet cable to one of the Belkins or Buffaloes or through any other switch that is wired to them [such as your D-Link router, if you use it], or wirelessly via an 802.11g card).

Important: If you aren't already aware of this problem, be sure to read the threads about what you have to do to keep CA and IVS on 55xx ReplayTVs, now that DNNA has changed the software (a senseless move, no doubt prompted by their legal staff, but there was zero chance that they were going to get sued over a small number of unauthorized hacks to out-of-production hardware).

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All is setup and i am up and running. I was never able to find an older Belkin model so i just used the V1444. I can stream shows to it from my other unit attached to a buffalo bridge. However, as most here have reported, i cannot stream shows from the belkin replay to the other replay. Also, i am noticing some artifacting when i am streaming shows recorded at standard quality. I thought maybe it was because i had a "B" laptop in this "G" setup. I removed the laptop from the link but i still get occasional artifacting. Is there something i have to do on the replay? Do i have to bump up the stream speed somewhere? Also, it appears as if i am having stability issues. Twice while trying to stream between units, my replay rebooted. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
788 Posts
For streaming between both ReplayTVs, I recommended attaching them to the Buffaloes to avoid the Belkin firmware issue. You appear to be experiencing some RF signal quality issues. Read through the various threads on setting up Belkin and Buffalo wireless routers. Make sure that frame bursting is on (Belkin calls it Turbo Mode). Try another channel. Beware of 2.4 GHz cordless phones. Try Protected Mode in both the on and off settings, and see which works best. A good wireless connection should be able to stream a high-quality recording. Depending upon where your routers/access points are, you can try changing your wireless network topology.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by repnewbie
I have managed to score a V1000 of this router. However, i cant seem to locate firmware v3.xx.xx anywhere. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
Well i found the V3 firmware and while trying to upgrade the router, it bricked:mad: After all the time it took to find it, i am really pissed. Back to the store it goes!:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.