AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my "new: Epson 9500UB.

As I cut the taped box when I got home, I noticed that the box had been carefully REsealed. All the top boxes, Mount, spare bulb etc, were still FACTORY sealed. As you get to the bottom of the box, you finally get to the Projector. That box was open, tape cut. The PJ had obviously been out of the box. Still giving the benefit of doubt to the store, I took out the PJ. I figured that they wanted to check the PJ before handing over to customer. But as I looked closer, there was a small buildup of dust on all the horizontal surfaces. Nothing real obvious, but still noticeable when a finger is swiped over it. The power chord bag was open and the chord not in perfectly folded condition. The filter was clean. I was going to power everything up and checkout how many hours on the lamp, but I figure that could have been reset, so I didn't bother.

I called the store and asked if this was a demo unit. They said that they didn't THINK it used as a demo, just out on display.

NOT acceptable. I asked for a new one. He said they were hard to come by. I said I want a NEW one.

Here is the problem as I see it. I don't know what this PJ has been through. Maybe it was only a display model, but why untie the power chord. For $3500 shouldn't I receive a sealed unit? Given all the issues posted on Epson PJ's, how do I know this is not a customer return or some kind of Refurbished unit.

As stated, I am returning the unit for sealed replacement. I am curious how others would handle this. Would anyone actually keep the unit? I gave them the benefit of doubt until I saw the dust on the PJ and used power chord.

Thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
if it works and no other issue are found i would ask for a discount, since is was a demo/display unit. OR f-them and get your money back.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Do you feel this way with everything? or just projectors. This might add some perspective.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tryg

You are very perceptive, I do tend to feel this way about things. However, I do feel that for $3500 I should get an UNUSED unit.

Since I won't get the home theater running for another couple weeks, I can't really give it a good checkout.

If it were cables, or a piece of wood, or something that didn't have delicate electrical components and fragile lenses and bulbs, then maybe it would be OK.

But the bulbs do have a Optimum life. Equipment sitting around on shelves do get knocked around and switched on and off a lot. I don't really want the discount. If I am worried about the above issues, you can't really put a number on that.

Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Well, a projector lies somewhere between a hypodermic needle and a whore as far as expectations of "used" goes.

You should do what will give you peace of mind. For me even if I bought a "new" car and it had 500 miles on it I wouldn't care. My thoughts are often...ok works perfect after the break-in period...it's a keeper. For projectors as long is it doesn't have any visible flaws or operating defects and there's a warranty i'd be satisfied. I'm a firm believer that everything is in a constant state of depreciation and being broken anyway. It's just where you lie on that line.

What if you knew Steven Spielberg opened the box to check it out? would that make a difference?

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
If you paid for "new" you should get "new" unless they stated the condition before you purchased it and negotiated a discounted price.

·
Banned
1,838 Posts

Given all the issues posted on Epson PJ's said:
Your statement above concerns me, you obviously have come concerns about this projector so it seems like even with a new unit you might still be rolling the dice. Sometimes things happen for a reason and maybe this is your opportunity to reeavulate your decision concerning this projector. If for no other reason reconsider doing business with this establishment. It seems that you have time before youre ready to use a projector anyway, why not return the unit get your money back (hopefully you read the fine print) and take the time to review some other projectors that are in your price range that have more favorable user reviews. In the end you dont want to have buyers remorse. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
if you paid for a new one, you should get a new one. who knows what happened to it while it was out of the box. it is entirely possible that it has 1000 hours on it. and possibly even dropped.

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
You know, if you paid for a new (presumably factory sealed) unit, they didn't do a QC on it for you, and they're now giving you resistance about getting what you paid for, I'd demand a refund, send it back, and then call AVScience.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I specifically asked about firmware updates before I left the store and they were not aware of any. So I don't think that was the case here. I don't think a firmware update was likely to lead to a layer of dust settling on the PJ.

It boils down to this. IF they had said, hey the only 9500 we have is an open box model, then it would have been up to me whether to take it, and I would have asked for a discount. But to pass this off as new when it has been out of the box for some time, without even mentioning it, was just not right.

Tryg has some interesting views on life. Maybe I would be better off if my brain worked that way, but I'm wound a little different.

I'm sure the retailer will make good, and I will be fine when all is said and done. This post was merely to see how many of you would have kept it, that's all.

many thanks for all the replies

·
Registered
9,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee /forum/post/18267547

Maybe I would be better off if my brain worked that way, but I'm wound a little different.

What if you return it and you get one that is perfectly boxed but turns out to be a complete lemon? This one completely screws with your life for the next two years...till you burn your house down just to get rid of the projector that destroyed your life!

Do you believe in Karma?

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Zebedee, Tryg is just yanking your chain.

Ask him if he'll take it off your hands.

Since he has such a zen\\karmic view of the Cosmos, it might earn him some Nirvana points

The fact that it's dusty means that either their shop is a pit or it has been sitting out for some time and I doubt that they un-box gear just for static display.

They also sound rather conveniently clueless.

At the least I'd exchange it or more likely return\

efund as a small but pointed token of my dissatisfaction with their version of customer service.

Trust me, in this economy there's plenty of other vendors that would love to have you as a customer.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee /forum/post/18267547

Tryg has some interesting views on life. Maybe I would be better off if my brain worked that way, but I'm wound a little different.

He's very practically minded....an enviable quality from the perspective of anyone like myself who trends more towards the neurotic/OC end of the personality spectrum. He has an entirely valid point if the unit checks out, but yeah, it's the principle of the thing that would bother me, even if it did. Unfortunately, I know exactly where you're coming from.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts