AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have a JVC AV-48WP30 HDTV, a computer with a DVD drive(my one and only), and an ATI Radeon 8500DV AIW.

Currently, my normal monitor is plugged into my ATI with the DVI to VGA converter, so I can use my computer. What I want, is to have a good setup so I can watch DVDs on the TV.

Last attempt at straight DVI hookup to the JVC didn't work so well, but it's been a few months since I've tried. I have the TV output purple ATI box thing, and I hooked that up earlier to see how that would work. But, I can't seem to get a good setup this way yet.

I can never get it to display widescreen on my TV... I always end up with the black bars top and bottom.

I need to be able to use my normal monitor as well, so I don't want to directly connect the ATI via DVI to the JVC(maybe a switch though?).

Any suggestions for this?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Speedwagon -

You say you have black bars at the top and bottom when you view it on the TV. Could this be the case:

- PC is set to 4:3 resolution

results in

- Software DVD player displays widescreen movies within that 4:3 rectangle

results in

- Black bars appear at the top and bottom of widescreen movies.

?

Could it be that you need to tell your software DVD player to stretch the video vertically to fill the entire screen?

As in - the black bars are generated by your PC, not your TV, your TV is just displaying what the pC is sending it...?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Also, what resolution are you using on the PC? Have you tried 1280 X 720, 1920 X 540 or any other HD supported resolution?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I tried to make the ATI DVD player display in 16:9, but I can't get it to cooperate with me. When I try other resolutions(aside from the standard 800x600/1024x768), it goes virtual on me. My monitor displays it fine, but as soon as I hook the TV up, it goes back to virtual desktop. I like the ATI card, but thier stupid drivers are just plain annoying sometimes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.