AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie here and just spent hours researching how to setup speakers for my living room. It seems that all the best setups have the couch in the middle of the room. My living room is far too small for this so I'm trying to figure out the next best way to lay out the surround speakers. I thought of using in wall mounted, however the sliding glass door prevents mounting on the right side. The other option is ceiling mounted but I read this is not recommended for surround.... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Another note - The best place for sub placement is behind the corner seat. Any recommended subs sizes that I should use? I don't want it to sound too boomy since the floors are hardwood.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Couldn't you move the couch by the sliding glass door up a little bit to allow a pair of speakers stands for your surrounds? Is this the only layout you could do in your living room? It seems like right now your main listening position is only on the main couch in front of the TV.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could move the couch up a bit to make room for speaker stands. It would look something like this minus the two speakers in the middle...

How high up should these surround speakers be? It seems to me that they are not high enough in this example photo ...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklfarkl /forum/post/15481981

My wife saw the proposed surround speaker placement photo and hates the way it looks. Not sure what I am going to do now! Perhaps ill look into getting those little cube speakers...

Don't do it!

If possible, I would mount the plasma on top of your fireplace. Basically that opens up your room a lot more, and now you can move the sofa directly across from the fireplace away from the wall a bit to place your surround speakers.

I'm not sure the corner is the best place to put your subwoofer. Seems a bit close to the listener position and the corner may contribute to some boominess.

If you don't actually use it, perhaps inside the fireplace would be the best bet?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.