AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen in many posts that people mention the Yamahas and Pioneers as being great for HT but not 2-channel music. Nobody seems to talk about Denon 2-channel performance either way. So in your opinions, how will the Denon compare to the Yamahas and Pioneers. I'm talking about comparable models in the $1000 range.

Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Denon = very good

·
Registered
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottlr
Denon = very good
I agree, Sounds great in Direct/Pure Direct/Stereo also in my opinion I also like the 5Ch Stereo Mode :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
I find Denon recievers (in general in this price range) to have a very crisp sound with good seperation and hf extension.

When paired with warm sounding components, like a tube cd player for instance, Denon recievers can sound pretty good.

When paired with very resolving speakers though, Denons can sound harsh and have a fatigueing glare in the upper treble. I think HK recievers (in general in this price range), pair a little better with high resolving or difficult to drive speakers.

I have the Pioneer 2012 (45tx), and find it to sound a little warmer and richer than the Denon 3805 for both HT and music; but both have a noticeably collapsed soundstage and treble glare in 2 channel.

If 2 channel is important, you might audition the Arcam 200/250 or 300. as I understand they are reputed to have good preamp and stereo capabilities.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input guys. I have an older Denon that I thought sounds great with music, but never got the chance to compare with others. But you seem to confirm my beliefs. I have paradigm atom speakers would you consider those resolving? I may upgrade to Mini Monitors at some point down the road after I get the new Denon.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
The Yamaha htr 5890/rxv1400 is also very good on music and movies too.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was interested in the 1500/2500 but there isn't a high end Yamaha dealer around here. The RX-Vs are not available online.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The Atoms are not considered particularly resolving or even bright; but some think them midrange forward, which should pair nicely with the Denon.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I own both Denon (2805) and Yamaha (2400) receivers and I think the Denon does a much better job with music. The Denon has a better dynamic range and handles the low end frequencies better.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phisch
I own both Denon (2805) and Yamaha (2400) receivers and I think the Denon does a much better job with music. The Denon has a better dynamic range and handles the low end frequencies better.
Agree with that, a 2805/2910 combo paired with my Cantons puts out a fantastic sound. But remember, the speakers will make a big difference, you need to get the right amp/speaker combo to make your system sound to your liking.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I'm an "H/K guy" in general, but the 2805 and 3805 both "sound" terrific in 2-channel, direct mode.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.