AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a picture of my house during construction in 2006:
http://picasaweb.google.com/camack/C...87574033677010


The wall is obviously finished at this point, and I've had my TV hung over the fireplace for about a year now, and am REALLY tired of seeing wires run down to my components which are in a rack to the left of the fireplace (soon to be in built in book cases). How would you guys suggest I run one set each, component and HDMI. I'd assume the "right" way to do it would be to cut out a run of sheetrock, then notch the 2x4s and run conduit. Given that this is an outside (loadbearing) wall, I've found that I shouldn't notch more than 1.25", would that be enough to run conduit for both wires? Are there other (easier) methods? Perhaps simply notching the sheetrock then patching it smooth?


Thanks in advance,

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
My brother ran all his wires trough the basement on an exterior wall. Is this a possibility for you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is, but I probably should have provided more detail. My components are to the left of the fireplace, about 8 feet diagonally from where the tv is (directly over the fireplace). I need to run two sets of wires from the component rack up to the tv, my issue is getting through the 3 2x4s.


Actually, I have the tv mount bolted to that "header"... maybe I could go through the 2 2x4s, then straight down the 2x4s to the basement. That would prevent me from having to cut up too much of the wall, and what I do have to patch would end up behind the tv anyway. I wonder if I can easily run conduit up along that set of 2x4s with the insulation in there....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by camack7827 /forum/post/15431799


Yes it is, but I probably should have provided more detail. My components are to the left of the fireplace, about 8 feet diagonally from where the tv is (directly over the fireplace). I need to run two sets of wires from the component rack up to the tv, my issue is getting through the 3 2x4s.


Actually, I have the tv mount bolted to that "header"... maybe I could go through the 2 2x4s, then straight down the 2x4s to the basement. That would prevent me from having to cut up too much of the wall, and what I do have to patch would end up behind the tv anyway. I wonder if I can easily run conduit up along that set of 2x4s with the insulation in there....

Can you post a pic of your existing setup with finished wall?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a pic of the setup as it is today: http://picasaweb.google.com/camack/C...64858532236482


I did some more digging around and found a few people with a similar setup as mine, who ran conduit down behind the firebox to the basement. I might go that route so I can do a 2" or 3" conduit to allow for plenty of room. Option 2 would be to run a couple smaller conduits down to the rack, due to the fact that I don't want to notch those 2x4s very much.


Thanks again,

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
436 Posts
If you can get below the fireplace in your basement, you can probably come up in the corner of the fireplace (make sure you know where the gas line is! and electrical, as well) with as big a hole as you need, and then some.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by camack7827 /forum/post/15431616


Here is a picture of my house during construction in 2006:
http://picasaweb.google.com/camack/C...87574033677010


The wall is obviously finished at this point, and I've had my TV hung over the fireplace for about a year now, and am REALLY tired of seeing wires run down to my components which are in a rack to the left of the fireplace (soon to be in built in book cases). How would you guys suggest I run one set each, component and HDMI. I'd assume the "right" way to do it would be to cut out a run of sheetrock, then notch the 2x4s and run conduit. Given that this is an outside (loadbearing) wall, I've found that I shouldn't notch more than 1.25", would that be enough to run conduit for both wires? Are there other (easier) methods? Perhaps simply notching the sheetrock then patching it smooth?


Thanks in advance,

Chris

I just did the exact same thing for my fireplace mount. I would recommend at least 2" PVC conduit to make it easy for pulling the cable, and definitely use the rounded elbows instead of the sharp turns. As long as you have easy access to the underside of the chimney enclosure this should be a relatively simple project for you. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll answer as best I can from my experience on this project.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
I too went through the same a couple of months ago
Definately worth the effort.

Just take your time, think it through and be sure where you are drilling and the rest is cake!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
go on craigslist, find a sheetrock guy. Cut the whiz out of the sheetrock, go ahead and wire for speakers... have the guy retexture and paint the whole wall, you will not be able to tell the work was done.


Total cost will run you about $30 to 40/hr. Figure 1/2 day tops for sheetrock work, and you could do the painting if you want to save a few bucks...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by petern /forum/post/15455768


If you can get below the fireplace in your basement, you can probably come up in the corner of the fireplace (make sure you know where the gas line is! and electrical, as well) with as big a hole as you need, and then some.

It's actually wood burning (I'm old-school I guess), but thanks for the suggestions. I do know there is one electrical line below that 2x8, other than that it's just the chimney back there.


Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollyon /forum/post/15456874


I just did the exact same thing for my fireplace mount. I would recommend at least 2" PVC conduit to make it easy for pulling the cable, and definitely use the rounded elbows instead of the sharp turns. As long as you have easy access to the underside of the chimney enclosure this should be a relatively simple project for you. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll answer as best I can from my experience on this project.

That is funny, I subscribed to your thread after posting this one. I think this is the route I'm going to go. I do have access to the chimney outside the house. The bottom has siding covering sheathing. Access from the basement is kind of tight, the furnace and hot water heater are directly below the fireplace. Once I get the siding and sheathing off, I'll have the first floor decking to deal with. I am thinking of cutting out a section the width of the joists in the back of the chimney, that should allow me enough space to get the PVC put together and secured to a 2x4 in the back corner of the chimney. If I then secure the PVC to a stud where it comes out behind the TV, I would imagine it wouldn't move at all.


Thoughts?

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennektj /forum/post/15466033


I too went through the same a couple of months ago
Definately worth the effort.

Just take your time, think it through and be sure where you are drilling and the rest is cake!

Which route did you go, PVC behind the fireplace or notching 2x4s?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by camack7827 /forum/post/15470019


That is funny, I subscribed to your thread after posting this one. I think this is the route I'm going to go. I do have access to the chimney outside the house. The bottom has siding covering sheathing. Access from the basement is kind of tight, the furnace and hot water heater are directly below the fireplace. Once I get the siding and sheathing off, I'll have the first floor decking to deal with. I am thinking of cutting out a section the width of the joists in the back of the chimney, that should allow me enough space to get the PVC put together and secured to a 2x4 in the back corner of the chimney. If I then secure the PVC to a stud where it comes out behind the TV, I would imagine it wouldn't move at all.


Thoughts?

Chris

That is pretty much EXACTLY what I did, although I only cut a small hole in the floor decking on the underside of the enclosure, and I haven't secured the PVC to anything yet (though I'm sure it's well clear of the firebox). The biggest pain is that because it was only about 18" clearance under the enclosure, it was more difficult to get the vertical piece of PVC in there.


Let me know how it goes!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollyon /forum/post/15470542


That is pretty much EXACTLY what I did, although I only cut a small hole in the floor decking on the underside of the enclosure, and I haven't secured the PVC to anything yet (though I'm sure it's well clear of the firebox). The biggest pain is that because it was only about 18" clearance under the enclosure, it was more difficult to get the vertical piece of PVC in there.


Let me know how it goes!

Thanks buddy, I will. Fortunately for me, I have about 30-36" of clearance between the ground and the underside of my chiminey. After reading your experience of getting the elbows connected, I decided to cut that floor joist section out to allow myself enough room. I'm hoping that I have enough clearance/space to assemble everything.


Even without securing it to anything, there shouldn't be any heat issues on the outside of that firebox or on the chimney stack (triple walled), but I just want to be sure it doesn't contact anything regardless. Thanks again!


Chris
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top