AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to spend around $3,000 for HT speakers, not including the sub, but I pretty much have to mount them in the ceiling. I have the following questions:

1. Will 5 higher quality speakers sound better than 7 lower quality speakers at the same total price? The space is about 12'x15' with one side open to another room.

2. Should all the speakers be identical, or should I get more expensive LCR's with aimable tweaters in front, and wide dispersion ceiling speakers for the surrounds?

3. As an alternative, I could mount a front bookshelf speaker on the wall to the left, and sit another on a counter to the right, but they would be a little too far apart and would be further back than the center. It would also be harder to find a match with the in-ceiling center. Notwithstanding those disadvantages, should I get bookshelves for the front L and R?

4. What speakers would you recommend? What if I increased the budget to $4k?

·
Registered
512 Posts
How about on-wall speakers? Could you do it if they were all the type that could be fastened on the walls or do some have to go on the ceilings?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Check out the current issue of Home Theater Magazine there is a complete article that compares inwall speakers in your price range.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Danbry39, the only ones that could be "on-wall" are the L&R fronts -- the ones I said could also be wall-mount bookshelves. However, they would have the problems I mentioned (too far apart, too far back relative to the center, difficulty matching the center). The ceiling is really the only place where I could mount a matched set aimed at the listener.

Ian, thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.