AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howard announced this morning, he's re-signed with Sirius/XM for 5 more years. He said his schedule is still being worked out but it will be "flexible". He'll do four days a week for now - probably less days later next year (or more vacation). He also said we'll be able to get his show on smart phone apps immediatetly. His previous contract did not allow his show to be broadcast via apps.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

my fellow americans, our long national nightmare is over...

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Ba ba boooey!!!

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
those hacks couldnt even find success back in regular radio...

oh well... they are on sat radio so good luck to them

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
It has to be less then what he got on the first deal, I don't care how much he said he wouldn't take less.

I would assume this is his last deal in radio he will be in his 60s at the end of it and he says he doesn't want to be Imus on the radio in his 70s like an old fart.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva /forum/post/19626390

It has to be less then what he got on the first deal, I don't care how much he said he wouldn't take less.

I would assume this is his last deal in radio he will be in his 60s at the end of it and he says he doesn't want to be Imus on the radio in his 70s like an old fart.

No doubt this is his LAST DEAL. He has already made it clear to his staff to begin preparing for what their lives are going to be like, and what they will be doing, if anything, when these five years are up.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE /forum/post/19627170

No doubt this is his LAST DEAL. He has already made it clear to his staff to begin preparing for what their lives are going to be like, and what they will be doing, if anything, when these five years are up.

The staff would be wise to think about their futrure. However, Benjy said on the wrap up show that he's already starting the campaign for Howard to start the show at 9AM (instead of 6AM) for the 2016 contract. He was joking, but then again why wouldn't Howard sign another multi-million dollar contract in the future if he could ?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonvall /forum/post/19619652

Has anybody else noticed the lack of interest in whether Opie and Dopey resign with Sirus? Just saying!

Yeah, who would actually be interested in a show that provides 5 days of live quality entertainment and isn't on vacation half the year. Enjoy your grampa Howie.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat6366 /forum/post/19629746

Yeah, who would actually be interested in a show that provides 5 days of live quality entertainment and isn't on vacation half the year. Enjoy your grampa Howie.

Cry, baby cry. Make your mother sigh.

You do realize that grampa Howie is the only radio personality that has remained relevant for 30 years, and not just relevant but consistently way ahead of the pack, and is still relevant. The new contract validates and proves that. Conservative estimates range his audience at 2-6 million, which is phenomenal for a paid service. Leno is free, and can't begin to touch that number; nor can anyone else (OK, at 2.4 million, he might occasionally touch the lower end of that range). The crown jewel of Comedy Central, Jon Stewart, has about a million viewers. Also for free. Nearly every guest Howard interviews shoots to the top of Google Trends for that day. No other guests on any other shows enjoy that phenomenon.

Those young whippersnappers were never relevant, still aren't. They are on satrad because no one else will have them. And the estimate of their audience? 37 thousand (out of 20 million subscribers). So of those who are willing to pay for the service, only 0.185% of them are listeners. 0.185% of subscribers are probably on any channel at any time just by accident. More people probably listen to Riley Martin on Howard 101, and he's only there as a goof.

I think that sort of tells the whole story.

Those of us who were smart enough to get a lifetime script back when Howard first announced (October 2004) are understandably pleased. We've broken even and been playing with the house's money since 2008, and have 5 more free years to come, God willing.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE /forum/post/19627170

Probably his LAST DEAL with Sirius. But he will be 61 and that is from many points of view, relatively young.

And he will have many more options. Look how fast tech is changing, especially in the area of content delivery. Who even dreamed 3 years ago that Pandora would be a possibility?

Howard says his primary reason for staying is that Sirius would then be unfinished business for him (should he leave). He set goals in 2004, met them and then some, but wants to accomplish more at Sirius. He has a genius on the level of Pablo Picasso and Frank Lloyd Wright, who were both relevant into their 90's. He's just getting started.

·
Registered
157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat6366 /forum/post/19629746

It would seem that considerably less people are interested in the type of entertainment you speak of. Enjoy your second rate hacks!

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCat
He has a genius on the level of Pablo Picasso and Frank Lloyd Wright, who were both relevant into their 90's. He's just getting started.
i HOPE that your tongue was firmly in your cheek when you typed that...

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
If you want to see how relevant Stern is to Sirius, make his show $1 month or $2/month. Personally, I'd rather see the price drop by $1-2 month, as I'll never listen to Stern.

·
Registered
237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen /forum/post/19634678

If you want to see how relevant Stern is to Sirius, make his show $1 month or $2/month. Personally, I'd rather see the price drop by $1-2 month, as I'll never listen to Stern.

Many people think their sub prices would go down had Stern not re-signed. Do you really think that would happen? Even if SXM saved $100 million a year, do you honestly think they would pass that onto the customer? Please.

I was hoping to get a discount because I can't stand O&A, Oprah, 40's music, traffic from 900 places I never visit, useless weather information....

·
Registered
1,094 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCat /forum/post/19633115

Cry, baby cry. Make your mother sigh.

You do realize that grampa Howie is the only radio personality that has remained relevant for 30 years, and not just relevant but consistently way ahead of the pack, and is still relevant. The new contract validates and proves that. Conservative estimates range his audience at 2-6 million, which is phenomenal for a paid service. Leno is free, and can't begin to touch that number; nor can anyone else (OK, at 2.4 million, he might occasionally touch the lower end of that range). The crown jewel of Comedy Central, Jon Stewart, has about a million viewers. Also for free. Nearly every guest Howard interviews shoots to the top of Google Trends for that day. No other guests on any other shows enjoy that phenomenon.

Those young whippersnappers were never relevant, still aren't. They are on satrad because no one else will have them. And the estimate of their audience? 37 thousand (out of 20 million subscribers). So of those who are willing to pay for the service, only 0.185% of them are listeners. 0.185% of subscribers are probably on any channel at any time just by accident. More people probably listen to Riley Martin on Howard 101, and he's only there as a goof.

I think that sort of tells the whole story.

Those of us who were smart enough to get a lifetime script back when Howard first announced (October 2004) are understandably pleased. We've broken even and been playing with the house's money since 2008, and have 5 more free years to come, God willing.

Your level of fanboy-ism is cringe worthy, it is like you are a school girl in love with a boy band. I feel emabarrassed for you. But Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonvall /forum/post/19633529

It would seem that considerably less people are interested in the type of entertainment you speak of. Enjoy your second rate hacks!

But somehow the insecure howie fans like you for some reason feel the need to pull them into a thread that had nothing to do with them, whay is that?

·
Registered
157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat6366 /forum/post/19636127

But somehow the insecure howie fans like you for some reason feel the need to pull them into a thread that had nothing to do with them, whay is that?

First off.....the word is spelled WHY...not WHAY....PFFFTTT. I would imagine you're probably one of the smarter Opie and Dopey fans...you only spelled one word wrong! ROFL!

Anyway..back to your question.....Because it's so fun....it's kinda like poking a dog that's in a cage and watching him freak out! (Not that I would ever poke a dog in a cage)

As far as me being insecure...I'm far from it! No where in this thread have I defended Howie's obvious dominance....that speaks for itself. I just love flaming Opie and Dopey because you idiots are so predictable in your defense of those 2 hacks!

I really don't know anything about them....don't care anything about them...I'm happy that you have someone you enjoy listening to and more power to ya.....I just like poking the stick!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.